Illinois man arrested in Katy after online sting
KATY, TX (KTRK) -- We have a warning for any parent about the importance of monitoring your children online. Authorities in Fort Bend County have arrested an Illinois man accused of luring a little girl and trying to take her out of the country.
He was arrested around 9pm Tuesday near a gas station in the 3500 block of Pin Oak after a two-week undercover sting.
Investigators say the 49-year-old man was having sexually explicit conversations online with a 14-year-old girl and later a sheriff's detective who he apparently thought was that same teen.
James Wean, Jr., 49, is accused of attempted aggravated kidnapping. Investigators say he drove over 900 miles from his home in Pearl City, Illinois all the way to the shopping center near Katy.
"I believe his intentions were to come and pick up this 14-year-old girl and take her somewhere," Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office Spokesman Bob Haenel said.
Detectives say they pretended to be that 14-year-old girl for two weeks after her family discovered, on Facebook, sexually explicit and suggestive messages Wean had allegedly sent to her. The girl's parents alerted the sheriff's office, which then set up the sting.
"I think it's disgusting. It makes me really glad that law enforcement is being proactive, trying to catch these people," concerned resident Pamela Curry said.
Investigators would not tell us what exactly Wean had written. But they say it is clear he intended to take the teen back to Illinois then maybe into Canada. They say the 49-year-old thought he and the girl could be together.
Wean is being held in the Fort Bend County Jail on a $500,000 bond with conditions. Should Wean make bond, he will have to surrender his passport, wear a tracking device and he cannot make contact with the victim or victim's family.
katy, local, kevin quinn
- weather: Severe weather across SE Texas 3 min ago
- Search in OK nears completion; tornado was EF5 46 min ago
- Houston will host Super Bowl LI in 2017 40 min ago
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County
- Watching line of storms to our north
- New facial filler targets tiny wrinkles 33 min ago
- Do you know all the apps your kids are using? 40 min ago
- 2nd suspect in Alief murders surrenders
- Katy Fire Chief indicted in Valium diversion case
- Newest 'Dancing' winner crowned 28 min ago
- Microsoft's Xbox One to go on sale late 2013
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 'Very graphic' devastation at OK elem. school
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos