Man in wheelchair injured by hit-and-run driver in SW Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A man in a wheelchair was injured by a hit-and-run driver in southwest Houston Wednesday.
The wheelchair in the middle of busy South Post Oak near West Orem is a stark reminder of a dramatic accident. Police say a man in a wheelchair was trying to cross the street at around 1:15pm when he was hit.
"I saw the truck coming and the truck hit the guy and I started screaming, 'Stop! Please stop! You've got a man under your car,'" said eyewitness Jacquelin Pineda.
Police say the wheelchair-bound man was dragged by this white pickup truck a few blocks until a passerby pulled in front of the truck and stopped him. Witnesses say they then saw the victim tumble out from beneath the truck.
"As I was looking around, I noticed the victim roll out under the pickup truck. He was rolling until he stopped and was laying still," said witness Alfred, who did not give his last name.
The victim was quickly transported to the hospital with severe road rash. As for the driver, he has been detained by police and he will be cited at a minimum, they say, for failure to stop and render aid.
The driver of the truck told us from inside the police car that he simply didn't see the wheelchair-bound man crossing the street. The man's friends find it hard to believe.
"How could you not know someone is up underneath, the way it feels?" said LaTonya Collins, the victim's friend.
Neighbors say the man crosses the street all the time in his wheelchair.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for the latest on this story.
local, miya shay
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane 23 min ago
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV 34 min ago
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder 51 min ago
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW 26 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat