Record number of Houstonians apply for housing assistance
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A record number of Houstonians applied for a chance to receive housing assistance through the city's rental voucher program.
More than 80,000 families applied to get on the wait list for Section 8 housing. Next week, the Housing Authority will choose 20,000 of the applicants through a random lottery. They will be placed on the wait list.
Each year the program selects 1,700 families from that list to be a part of the program.
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant
- Student caught with gun on campus
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area?