Pet victims of Hurricane Isaac come to Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- For days we've been showing you the destruction from Isaac and how people's lives have been changed. But it's not just humans who have been displaced and Houston's SPCA is lending a hand.
Shane and Trixie are among the dogs that have arrived at Houston's SPCA from the St. Bernard Parish animal control facility. It's the second time this week that the SPCA has stepped in to help. In the first batch there were 60 animals. On Friday, they received another 22 cats and seven dogs.
Meera Naandal with the Houston SPCA said, "They needed our assistance because of the aftermath of Hurricane Isaac."
Local officials are also expecting to receive about 50 animals from Mississippi, although the arrival date is not yet known.
The more than 100 animals finding sanctuary in Houston will be available for adoption. In fact, many of the pets from the first wave to arrive have already found loving homes. Some of the more recent arrivals will be getting spay or neuter surgery before they can move into a new home.
"We will start getting these guys out on the adoption floor as soon as possible," Naandal said. "We have lots of very friendly cats from Louisiana. They are up for adoption too."
For more information about adoption procedures, visit HoustonSPCA.org.
spca, local, deborah wrigley
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 plead guilty after immigrant stash house discovery 21 min ago
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke
- Case of missing teens solved after 43 years
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Fashion trucks take over downtown Houston
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Over the top promposal had cops in on the secret
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'
- Crews to assess damage to rig struck by large wave
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos