Pet victims of Hurricane Isaac come to Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- For days we've been showing you the destruction from Isaac and how people's lives have been changed. But it's not just humans who have been displaced and Houston's SPCA is lending a hand.
Shane and Trixie are among the dogs that have arrived at Houston's SPCA from the St. Bernard Parish animal control facility. It's the second time this week that the SPCA has stepped in to help. In the first batch there were 60 animals. On Friday, they received another 22 cats and seven dogs.
Meera Naandal with the Houston SPCA said, "They needed our assistance because of the aftermath of Hurricane Isaac."
Local officials are also expecting to receive about 50 animals from Mississippi, although the arrival date is not yet known.
The more than 100 animals finding sanctuary in Houston will be available for adoption. In fact, many of the pets from the first wave to arrive have already found loving homes. Some of the more recent arrivals will be getting spay or neuter surgery before they can move into a new home.
"We will start getting these guys out on the adoption floor as soon as possible," Naandal said. "We have lots of very friendly cats from Louisiana. They are up for adoption too."
For more information about adoption procedures, visit HoustonSPCA.org.
spca, local, deborah wrigley
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety 48 min ago
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide 48 min ago
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Constable: Teen admits shooting out car windows 46 min ago
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Katy blows late lead, falls to Cedar Hill in title game 11 min ago
- Allen tops Pearland 63-28, defends 5A D-I title 11 min ago
- Aledo beats Brenham 38-10 for 4th title in 5 years 11 min ago
- Things you didn't know about reindeer