HPD: Naked suspect shot by homeowner during attempted burglary
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A homeowner fought back against a suspected burglar who was reportedly naked.
Police say the naked man was behind the wheel of a vehicle when he forced his way through the gate on the homeowner's property at around 8am Monday on Tierwester Street near Lehall on Houston's south side.. The homeowner emptied one gun into the suspect's vehicle and when the suspect didn't stop, he began firing another gun at the vehicle.
The homeowner, Anthony Allen, says the suspect used his vehicle to push the sliding gate open. That's when the homeowner's mother saw the suspect driving around to her son's back door. She called her son and woke him up. When Allen came outside, he saw the gate was closed and the suspect driving forward then backward in his driveway. That's when Allen says he yelled for the suspect to stop, but he continued to drive and opened his car door.
Allen says with the suspect close, he fired his handgun into the vehicle, and when that didn't stop him, he fired his shotgun.
"All of that noise was for warning, that if you got out of your car, you wouldn't make it. But they never did," Allen said. "I have better aim than I used today, I mean, than I gave him. It wasn't that I wanted to harm him, I just didn't want him to get out of the car and think he was gonna walk in."
Just after the shooting, police arrived and ordered the suspect out of the car.
"After numerous attempts to get him out, he got out himself. He was naked," Houston Police Department Sgt. Sean Rios said.
"He was as naked as he could be. He didn't even have clothes in the car," Allen said.
Police were still forced to subdue the wounded suspect with a Taser.
Allen says it's not the way he wanted to spend his Labor Day but he and his mother say it could have been worse.
"You know you don't know and that just the bad part about it. You just don't know what people are thinking," he said.
The suspect was transported to Ben Taub Hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The homeowner was not hurt during the shooting.
local, samica knight
- Case of swine flu confirmed in Montgomery County 38 min ago
- Houston police gain powerful new weapon 23 min ago
- Man says found treasure should be his 5 min ago
- Family scrambles to safety from burning home
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Police: Man fatally shoots wife in southwest Houston 18 min ago
- Mystery of the missing mink
- Bicyclist hit by minivan near park 53 min ago
- Parents sue city of Houston over daughter's death
- Family of Houston girl hopes for life-saving donation 41 min ago
- Congress passes bill that will avoid future govt. shutdowns
- Sketch released of suspect in brazen robbery
- METRO offering new way to get around town
- Keenum out; Schaub to start against Broncos
- Surprise wedding shower for cancer survivor...
37 min ago
- Take a trip to Santa's Town
32 min ago