HPD: Naked suspect shot by homeowner during attempted burglary
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A homeowner fought back against a suspected burglar who was reportedly naked.
Police say the naked man was behind the wheel of a vehicle when he forced his way through the gate on the homeowner's property at around 8am Monday on Tierwester Street near Lehall on Houston's south side.. The homeowner emptied one gun into the suspect's vehicle and when the suspect didn't stop, he began firing another gun at the vehicle.
The homeowner, Anthony Allen, says the suspect used his vehicle to push the sliding gate open. That's when the homeowner's mother saw the suspect driving around to her son's back door. She called her son and woke him up. When Allen came outside, he saw the gate was closed and the suspect driving forward then backward in his driveway. That's when Allen says he yelled for the suspect to stop, but he continued to drive and opened his car door.
Allen says with the suspect close, he fired his handgun into the vehicle, and when that didn't stop him, he fired his shotgun.
"All of that noise was for warning, that if you got out of your car, you wouldn't make it. But they never did," Allen said. "I have better aim than I used today, I mean, than I gave him. It wasn't that I wanted to harm him, I just didn't want him to get out of the car and think he was gonna walk in."
Just after the shooting, police arrived and ordered the suspect out of the car.
"After numerous attempts to get him out, he got out himself. He was naked," Houston Police Department Sgt. Sean Rios said.
"He was as naked as he could be. He didn't even have clothes in the car," Allen said.
Police were still forced to subdue the wounded suspect with a Taser.
Allen says it's not the way he wanted to spend his Labor Day but he and his mother say it could have been worse.
"You know you don't know and that just the bad part about it. You just don't know what people are thinking," he said.
The suspect was transported to Ben Taub Hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The homeowner was not hurt during the shooting.
local, samica knight
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course