Driver dies after being ejected from SUV
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An SUV ran off the road and crashed into several trees early this morning in northwest Houston. The driver was ejected and died on impact.
It happened around 1:25am. A woman investigators say was in her 20s was driving a black Mitsubishi Montero northbound in the 2300 block of Barker-Cypress Rd. near Addicks Reservoir. They say she lost control and drove off the road.
Police say the vehicle was traveling at a high rate of speed and failed to stay in the lane, then struck a curb, went off the roadway and struck several trees. The driver was ejected and died on impact.
Investigators don't know exactly why the driver lost control. There were no signs of alcohol was involved, but a toxicology report will determine that.
"She's traveling at a high rate of speed," said Sgt. Ignacio Aguirre with the Houston Police Department. "For an unknown reason, perhaps to maintain a single lane, at one point goes airborne and strikes several trees. She was ejected from the vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene."
There were no witnesses. A passer-by saw the crash and called 9-1-1. Police say if you witnessed it, call HPD.
The identity of the female victim, who died at the scene, is pending verification by the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences.
- Mother killed in police chase remembered
- Mother of drowned girl uses her story to save lives
- Detectives: Road rage leads to fatal shooting
- Search ends for missing swimmer at San Luis Pass
- Girl critical after nearly drowning in Cleveland pond
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; 200-plus rescued
- UH police investigating on-campus robbery
- Protesters across globe rally against Monsanto
- HCSO sergeant killed in crash laid to rest
- Warmer weather on its way to Houston area
- Memorial Day weekend also no refusal weekend
- otrc: Mariah has wardrobe malfunction on GMA
- abcnews: Zookeeper dies from tiger attack
- raw video: Chinese dog skateboards, rides toy cars