MMA fighter arrested in Galveston on murder charge
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- An MMA fighter has been arrested and charged with murder following an 11-month investigation, say police.
Ralph "Plexin Texan" Garcia, Jr., was arrested without incident on a murder charge Wednesday. He was taken into custody while training at the Combat Sports Institute in Galveston.
The charges stem from an incident last October 13. The victim, 28-year-old Maxie Flowers, was fatally shot while riding his bicycle early in the morning in the 5400 block of Avenue L. Police believe he had some type of verbal altercation wtih Garcia, Jr., before the shooting.
The investigation is ongoing and police say there could be more charges. Garcia, Jr. is being held in the Galveston County Jail on a $500,000 bond.
- Severe weather possible this morning 49 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 21 min ago
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather 27 min ago
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?