Tourists find body on Galveston beach
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Tourists were walking along the beach Sunday when they discovered the body of a Houston woman who drowned in Galveston Bay, officials said.
According to Galveston Beach Patrol, 49-year-old Jutina Silvey went missing early Sunday after a night of drinking at an island bar.
Investigators said Silvey, her niece and some friends decided to cross the street and go swimming after the bar closed. Everyone returned to the shore except Silbey. That's when her niece called 911.
Crews, including the U.S. Coast Guard, began searching for the woman around 3:30am.
The tourists found her body on a rock groin near 37th Street around 11am.
Officers are calling the death an accidental drowning. They believe Silvey became caught in the rip current and was pulled toward the rocks.
- Case of swine flu confirmed in Montgomery County
- City slammed for deal with topless clubs
- Houston police gain powerful new weapon
- Man says found treasure should be his
- Family scrambles to safety from burning home
- Police: Man fatally shoots wife in southsoutheast west Houston
- Blood test could offer early answer for kids with austim 53 min ago
- Mystery of the missing mink 42 min ago
- Bicyclist hit by minivan near park
- Parents sue city of Houston over daughter's death
- Family of Houston girl hopes for life-saving donation
- Congress passes bill that will avoid future govt. shutdowns
- Sketch released of suspect in brazen robbery
- METRO offering new way to get around town