Tourists find body on Galveston beach
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Tourists were walking along the beach Sunday when they discovered the body of a Houston woman who drowned in Galveston Bay, officials said.
According to Galveston Beach Patrol, 49-year-old Jutina Silvey went missing early Sunday after a night of drinking at an island bar.
Investigators said Silvey, her niece and some friends decided to cross the street and go swimming after the bar closed. Everyone returned to the shore except Silbey. That's when her niece called 911.
Crews, including the U.S. Coast Guard, began searching for the woman around 3:30am.
The tourists found her body on a rock groin near 37th Street around 11am.
Officers are calling the death an accidental drowning. They believe Silvey became caught in the rip current and was pulled toward the rocks.
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston 44 min ago
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico 24 min ago
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged 54 min ago
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio
- Woman forgives son's killer at the gallows 25 min ago
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Use natural dyes to decorate Easter eggs
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody
- Travis Herzog's midday weather forecast
54 min ago