Tourists find body on Galveston beach
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Tourists were walking along the beach Sunday when they discovered the body of a Houston woman who drowned in Galveston Bay, officials said.
According to Galveston Beach Patrol, 49-year-old Jutina Silvey went missing early Sunday after a night of drinking at an island bar.
Investigators said Silvey, her niece and some friends decided to cross the street and go swimming after the bar closed. Everyone returned to the shore except Silbey. That's when her niece called 911.
Crews, including the U.S. Coast Guard, began searching for the woman around 3:30am.
The tourists found her body on a rock groin near 37th Street around 11am.
Officers are calling the death an accidental drowning. They believe Silvey became caught in the rip current and was pulled toward the rocks.
- Man fatally shot while driving in SW Houston
- Galveston judge indicted on felony charges
- Constable Trevino: Good intentions gone too far?
- Consumer Reports lists best, worst airlines
- Cocaine, cash found in abandoned chase suspect's car
- Vendor fired, took snow cones into bathroom
- Burglars break in through roof of Walgreen's store
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets burgers for life
- 13 Things to Know for Thursday 33 min ago
- Youngest Oklahoma tornado victims remembered by kin
- Deputy's family speaks out about his death
- otrc: 'Bachelor' Sean Lowe making wedding plans 26 min ago
- abcnews: 5 Biggest food and exercise mistakes 16 min ago
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone