Suspected drunk driver hits, kills woman
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police say a likely drunk driver hit and killed a woman who was walking along the road on Houston's south side overnight.
Police say the suspect, Timothy Norman Perry-Price Sr.,29, was headed southbound on Scott toward the 610 Loop just before 1am when he veered off the road onto a median, striking and killing a 51-year-old woman who was standing in the median.
Investigators say he had already hit a stop sign and damaged his windshield. They also say after hitting the victim, he dragged her body for several feet before coming to a stop.
Police say they smelled alcohol on his breath and that he failed a field sobriety test. For the victim, they say this was truly an unnecessary death.
"When you are intoxicated under the influence of alcohol and other substances, things like this can happen and unfortunately for innocent people, this is just an unfortunate occurrence," said Sgt. Cedric Nickerson with the Houston Police Department.
Police say there were many witnesses who say they saw the driver throwing beer cans out the window.
He was taken into custody without incident. He is charged with intoxication manslaughter.
local, katie mccall
- Galveston judge indicted on felony charges 4 min ago
- Constable Trevino: Good intentions gone too far? 15 min ago
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces 14 min ago
- Consumer Reports lists best, worst airlines 8 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Deputy's family speaks out about his death
- 'Nashville' show putting spotlight on Music City 8 min ago
- 2017 Super Bowl means transformations for downtown
- Will Dome still be standing come Super Bowl time?
- Meet Houston Symphony's newest music director
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake
- 1 child dead, 1 missing in Minn. park landslide 40 min ago
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved