Woman caught with heroin in powdered juice mix packages in her luggage at IAH
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A foreign woman traveling through Bush Intercontinental Airport has been arrested for allegedly concealing heroin in her luggage.
The U.S. Attorney's Office says Monica Leticia Morales de Guzman attempted to import approximately three kilograms of heroin into the U.S. as she arrived on September 7 to IAH from Guatemala en route to Boston, MA.
Authorities say the 27-year-old Guatemalan woman presented a valid Guatemalan passport, a valid U.S. Visa and her Customs Declaration Form. She was referred to secondary inspection to undergo baggage examination, at which time Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers say they located the heroin after a canine alerted to the presence of narcotics on her luggage.
Located in a shopping bag inside her pink suitcase, officers say they discovered nine packages of powdered juice mix which concealed pink plastic bags containing a total of 2.994 kilograms of heroin, according to the complaint.
The case is being investigated by CBP and Homeland Security Investigations.
bush intercontinental airport, local
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire 7 min ago
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash
- Brightening the holiday for underprivileged kids 3 min ago
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 13 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 58 min ago
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Three Webster officers go before judge today
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom 54 min ago
- Boy, 10, dies after being trapped in snowbank 37 min ago
- SW Houston family loses puppy in overnight fire 41 min ago