Woman caught with heroin in powdered juice mix packages in her luggage at IAH
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A foreign woman traveling through Bush Intercontinental Airport has been arrested for allegedly concealing heroin in her luggage.
The U.S. Attorney's Office says Monica Leticia Morales de Guzman attempted to import approximately three kilograms of heroin into the U.S. as she arrived on September 7 to IAH from Guatemala en route to Boston, MA.
Authorities say the 27-year-old Guatemalan woman presented a valid Guatemalan passport, a valid U.S. Visa and her Customs Declaration Form. She was referred to secondary inspection to undergo baggage examination, at which time Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers say they located the heroin after a canine alerted to the presence of narcotics on her luggage.
Located in a shopping bag inside her pink suitcase, officers say they discovered nine packages of powdered juice mix which concealed pink plastic bags containing a total of 2.994 kilograms of heroin, according to the complaint.
The case is being investigated by CBP and Homeland Security Investigations.
bush intercontinental airport, local
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 17 min ago
- Officers' body cameras raise privacy concerns 15 min ago
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Motorcyclist killed in head-on wreck in northwest Houston
- Search continues for clues in women's murders