Police: Woman thought drowned was murdered
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Police now say a woman whose body was found by tourists on a Galveston beach was murdered.
At about 3:15am Sunday, Galveston police were called to the 3200 block of Seawall Boulevard in reference to a possible drowning. Officers were told that three friends had been drinking and they had gone into the ocean for a swim.
Officers were also told that Jutina Silvey had stayed in the water with Michael Alicie after the other person from the group had come ashore. Mr. Alicie later exited the water and said that the couple had been swept on to the rock groin by the current and he could not find Mrs. Silvey, police say.
Galveston police, the Coast Guard, and Galveston Beach Patrol began a search of the water and shoreline. At approximately 10:30am, Silvey's body was located on a rock groin in the 3600 block of Seawall by tourists walking along the beach.
Detectives began an investigation and later determined that Silvey's death was criminal in nature, after reviewing physical evidence indicating she was beaten and strangled. The Galveston County District Attorney's Office was consulted and a warrant was filed for the arrest of Alicie.
At 10am Friday, Alicie was taken into custody at 203 Texas Ave in Texas City without incident.
Michael Anthony Alicie is charged with the murder of Jutina Silvey, 49. He was booked into the Galveston County Jail with a $100,000 bond.
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women 9 min ago
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Recognize either of these guys?
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Family wakes up to stranger inside their SW Houston home
- Pap smears could be thing of the past
- Designer Western wear on a budget
- Photos: Texas A&M nursing bald eagle back to...
- Chrysler recalls 49,000 Chargers to fix headlights
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail
- Amazon accused of cheating customers
- Utah trucker accused of keeping sex slaves