Police shoot man they believed was armed
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police in southwest Houston pulled their guns out on a suspect late last night. That confrontation ended in gunfire and now, that suspect is in the hospital.
The suspect involved in the shooting was hit in the leg by officers. He's listed as stable at Memorial Hermann Southwest, but the investigation as to what led up to the shooting is just beginning.
Initially, dispatchers received a call of a suspicious person in an apartment complex off Beechnut near Jorine.
When police arrived, they located a person matching that description and ordered him in both English and Spanish to show his hands. The man was not compliant and several times reached into his waistband, appearing to be grabbing a weapon.
But after the shots were fired, it was discovered the man had pulled out a cell phone.
"He drops down and goes back into his waistband and pulls out a black object," said John Cannon with the Houston Police Department. "At that time, officers believing it was a gun, fired their weapons in self-defense."
All three of the Houston police officers involved are out of the midwest patrol and are now on standard administrative leave. All three of them shot at the suspect but it's unclear how many shots were fired at this time.
The suspect is in his 20s and he will be questioned by police to find out what he was doing at the complex and why he was not obeying the officers' orders.
- Parts of Astrodome demolished
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- 2013 College bowl schedule
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour record
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Officials find 11 dead whales in Florida Keys
- Local post offices open Sundays for holiday rush
- No more ice, but cold weather continues