Last of Perkins sextuplets leaves hospital
PEARLAND, TX (KTRK) -- The last remaining hospitalized sextuplet born at Texas Children's Hospital earlier this year is now at home with her five brothers and sisters. Leah Perkins, one of six children born to Lauren and David Perkins of Pearland, went home on Monday after a four and a half month stay at the neonatal intensive care unit at Texas Children's Hospital Pavilion for Women.
A celebration was held for Leah, the smallest of the sextuplets, at Texas Children's Hospital on Monday. The hospital says everyone who played a role in caring for the babies in the NICU and the Pavilion for Women was invited.
"We are so excited to finally have all of our children under the same roof. It has definitely been a challenge having to manage our family in two places but we look forward to Leah's homecoming," said Lauren Perkins. "We are very thankful for all of our nurses and physicians at the Pavilion for Women who cared for me throughout my pregnancy, delivered our babies safely and cared for them during their time in the NICU."
The sextuplets were born back in April. Andrew Noah, Benjamin Luke, Levi Thomas, Allison Kate, Caroline Grace and Leah Michelle weighed between 1 pound 10 ounces and 2 pounds 15 ounces at birth. Today the babies weigh between 8 pounds 3 ounces and 13 pounds 5 ounces, according to the hospital. They're all reportedly doing well and growing as expected for babies born prematurely, as they were.
All of the sextuplets stayed in the NICU for a period of time. Benjamin and Caroline were there for five and a half weeks. Leah, who needed two surgeries for digestive issues, was there for four and a half months.
- Police: 2 dead after car crashes into crowd in Austin 25 min ago
- Vigil held for women slain in Galveston County
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant
- Reliant Stadium may be changing names
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Gas blast destroys 2 NY buildings; 6 people dead 53 min ago
- Woman delivers her own baby on drive to hospital
- Police: Man tried to run over triple amputee in N. Houston
- GM excluded crash deaths from ignition inquiry 33 min ago
- Utah trucker accused of keeping sex slaves 11 min ago
- Man in reported stolen car leads police on short chase 16 min ago
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys 45 min ago
- Authorities investigating second auto-pedestrian in NW Harris...
- George Zimmerman's parents suing Roseanne Barr
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos