UH campus, students on alert after robberies
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A security alert at the University of Houston after thousands of students are being told to be extra cautious after two armed robberies in just a matter of days.
In both cases the students were robbed at gunpoint on or very close to the campus.
Students are on high alert after two armed robberies hit campus in just four days. Some are now walking to their cars in groups.
"I was worried that something was going to happen walking to the bus stop," said student Marianna Lara.
Roxana Salas said, "I just think they need to have more security around here."
"I was shocked and I kind of thought that could've been me," said student Danielle Johnson.
The University of Houston sent out a security alert on Wednesday after officials tell us a student, who was walking to his car in a campus parking lot, was approached by an armed man.
"He displayed the weapon and demanded the student's wallet and cell phone. The student handed the property over," said Lt. Bret Collier, Chief of Staff for U of H Police.
Luckily, the suspect ran off and the student wasn't hurt. But the story sounds eerily familiar. Just four days ago, police say a student was walking down the street here on Holman in the middle of campus when they say two men drove up, showed a gun, took his money, and then drove off.
"We don't have any indication that they are in any way connected yet. We are currently investigating both crimes," Lt. Collier said.
We spoke to several students who say they are scared here on campus after hearing about these incidents.
"We are concentrating on the lots and the exterior portions of campus to make sure that we are highly visible and that if anything does happen we can either be there to address it or respond as quickly as possible," said Lt. Collier.
Police say they are stepping up security in the area.
Police are urging all students to stay alert, and report any crimes to campus police immediately. If possible, they say, try to take note of any details that could help officers find the suspects.
university of houston, local
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable
- Video: Lovie Smith interviews with Texans
- Video: JJ Watt now a superhero
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse
- Jury reaches verdict in disputed Farrah Fawcett portrait
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos