Residents displaced after fire guts apartment complex in north Harris Co.
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An apartment complex is still smoldering after witnesses tell us plumbers may have sparked a fire that gutted multiple units.
Investigators say plumbers were working in the attic and it was a spark from a plumber's torch that ignited the blaze.
The flames were intense after the blaze broke out shortly after 3pm Thursday at the Arbor Ridge East Apartments here on Imperial Valley near Parramatta. You could see them shooting more than 10 feet into the air from the roof at one point. Firefighters had to pull a second alarm.
One eyewitness, Amy Vazquez, describes the chaotic scene she encountered when she returned home just after the fire began.
"The first thing I saw was this lady running with her baby. I asked her if she needed help. She just started crying in my arms. The baby was just a week old," said Vazquez.
Fire investigators say about 16 units were heavily damaged. Others were damaged as well.
The fire department says they had some issues here with a shortage of water because they were pouring so much on this fire when they got here.
The fire department says everyone got out OK and there were no injuries.
However, several dozen people remain outside the apartments here, unable to return home.
local, kevin quinn
- HPD: Homeless man shoots, kills armed burglar 39 min ago
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run
- Dr. accused of harassing husband's co-worker
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night 1 min ago
- Stolen Snap-on truck found burning in NW Harris Co.
- SWAT scene underway in SW Houston 30 min ago
- 'Polar Express' blowing across US 1 min ago
- Your pocket change may be worth hundreds
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect
- Bledsoe leads Suns to 97-88 win over Rockets
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Casey Curry's Thursday weather forecast
42 min ago