Three UH students robbed in one week
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The University of Houston says it is beefing up security after three students were either robbed, or nearly robbed, in one week.
The university is now putting together a task force to deal with these robberies. The UH police chief has promoted 10 people within the department and on Monday, he will be posting a position for a crime prevention officer.
In the meantime, many students are very scared. They're walking in groups. We talked to one girl who has started carrying mace.
The latest incident happened at an off-campus parking lot Thursday night. Police say a student was walking to his car when a man approached him with a gun. According to police, the student told the man he didn't have any money and then tried to get the gun from the suspect.
Police say the suspect responded by hitting the student in the jaw, getting into his car, and driving off.
Two other armed robberies were reported on campus on Sunday and Wednesday. They both happened in broad daylight. Nobody was hurt, but police say the suspects got away with money both times.
Many students wonder if extra security will even help keep them safe.
"I don't think they can be everywhere at once. I think they're doing a pretty good job right now, but it's just scary that people are robbing people in broad daylight. It's kind of a bad neighborhood surrounding the school, so I don't really feel safe on campus," said student Christine Lado.
"These guys aren't just waiting, like oh there's a cop there we can still do it. They wait until they're gone. So you can hire as many as you want, but I think it can still happen," student Ryan Techmanski said.
Right now, authorities don't believe the three crimes are connected.
university of houston, local
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home