Funeral held for fallen Atascocita firefighter
HUMBLE, TX (KTRK) -- Funeral services were held Monday morning for an Atascocita volunteer firefighter who died during a training exercise in Beaumont.
Captain Neal Smith died last week from injuries he received during a specialized training course at the east Texas-area fall 'Smoke Diver' School.
The funeral got underway around 10am at the First Assembly of God in Humble. It began with a huge procession including about 150 fire trucks. One of those was carrying the body of Captain Smith. His family stood nearby as his flag-draped casket was brought down from the fire truck.
Captain Smith, a five-year veteran of the Atascocita Volunteer Fire Department, was undergoing training earlier this month in Beaumont. Something went wrong and he died from his injuries suffered in a fire training field exercise.
The 46-year-old was surrounded by family when he was taken off life support.
Training for firefighters can be just as risky sometimes as fighting fires. According to the US Fire Administration, last year eight firefighters died during training.
A Georgia firefighter also became ill during the exercise but is recovering. The accident is under investigation.
Captain Smith is survived by his wife and two children.
atascocita, local, erik barajas
- Family scrambles to safety from burning home
- Parents sue city of Houston over daughter's death
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Sketch released of suspect in brazen robbery
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Houston police gain powerful new weapon 27 min ago
- Congress passes bill that will avoid future govt. shutdowns 4 min ago
- Keenum out; Schaub to start against Broncos 16 min ago
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold
- 2013 brought surprises, good and bad, to viewers 26 min ago
- Good Samaritan saves Christmas for foster child
- Photos: Blind man and dog fall on subway tracks
- One dead, others injured in Baytown wreck
- Feds to reduce stimulus due to improving job market