Mixed cleaning products create HazMat situation
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police say a woman who mixed toilet bowl cleaner with bleach created a HazMat situation at her southwest Houston apartment complex.
The incident happened around 5:30pm at an apartment complex on Timmons Lane near Colquitt.
Police say a plumber responded to a call at the woman's apartment and became concerned when no one answered. He entered through a window and found the woman dead.
"As soon as I seen that, I hopped out, left and called the cops," the plumber told us.
When police arrived and smelled the chemicals, a HazMat crew and a bomb squad were dispatched to the scene.
Neighbors in the units immediately surrounding that of the woman's were evacuated.
An extensive cleanup effort lasted into the night. The scene was clear and residents were allowed back in their homes by 2:30am.
No other injuries were reported, though we were told a couple of firefighters had to be decontaminated, or essentially washed down.
- Case of swine flu confirmed in Montgomery County
- City slammed for deal with topless clubs 17 min ago
- Houston police gain powerful new weapon 47 min ago
- Man says found treasure should be his 29 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Family scrambles to safety from burning home
- Police: Man fatally shoots wife in southsoutheast west Houston 1 min ago
- Mystery of the missing mink
- Bicyclist hit by minivan near park
- Parents sue city of Houston over daughter's death
- Family of Houston girl hopes for life-saving donation
- Congress passes bill that will avoid future govt. shutdowns
- Sketch released of suspect in brazen robbery
- METRO offering new way to get around town
- Take a trip to Santa's Town
56 min ago