Toddler killed in tragic driveway accident
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- On Friday afternoon, a home in northwest Harris County became the scene of a deadly accident, a type of accident that's more common and more deadly than many realize. It's an issue that's changing how cars are made here and around the world.
The father is too distraught to talk about what happened. He returned home Friday night surrounded by friends, who asked that we give him time to grieve.
Investigators say the three-year-old's father didn't know she was nearby when he began backing his truck out of their driveway in the Lakewood Forest subdivision.
"Our little grand-baby played with her. She was a beautiful little girl. I know she was really their darling, their precious. I don't know how they're gonna go on," neighbor Janet Giesen said.
It was early afternoon. Investigators say there was at least one other adult at the house. It's not clear how the child got outside. The father got in the truck to leave, detectives say, and didn't see the little girl right behind the rear of the truck.
"There's nothing to indicate at this point there was anything reckless in nature, anything similar to that," Harris County Pct. 4 Constable's Office Deputy Michael Combest said.
Authorities say the father screamed for help. A neighbor came running, one who just Friday finished a refresher course in CPR and other emergency techniques.
The house is only a mile and a half from St. Luke's Hospital at The Vintage. They piled into the very same truck that hit the girl. The neighbor apparently drove the father and daughter there. The child, though, was pronounced dead at the hospital.
"It breaks our hearts. I mean it could happen to anyone, anyone. It was all an accident," neighbor Loren Zuber said.
These types of accidents are all too common. To avoid "back overs" the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration offers several tips:
- Actively check mirrors while backing up
- Teach children not to play in or around cars
- Always walk around your vehicle and check before backing up
- Teach children to move away from a vehicle when a driver gets in or it is started
- Roll down the windows while backing up so you can hear what's going on outside
local, kevin quinn
- Galveston judge indicted on felony charges
- Constable Trevino: Good intentions gone too far?
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Consumer Reports lists best, worst airlines
- Deputy's family speaks out about his death
- 'Nashville' show putting spotlight on Music City
- 2017 Super Bowl means transformations for downtown
- Will Dome still be standing come Super Bowl time?
- Meet Houston Symphony's newest music director
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake
- 1 child dead, 1 missing in Minn. park landslide
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone