Photos and GPS info presented in ex-cop rape trial
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Photos and GPS information were among the evidence shown on Friday to a Harris County jury that will decide whether a now former Houston police officer raped a woman while on duty.
Former Houston Police Officer Abraham Joseph is accused of sexually assaulting a woman at a park while he was on duty. On Friday a criminal investigator gave a timeline of where Officer Joseph went the night of January 2, 2011.
According to his car's GPS, the car left a Chevron gas station at 2:52am. At 2:55, the car arrived at Townwood Park and parked near a running track. The car was there for 10 minutes and and at 3:07, the car arrived at a Valero gas station.
The investigator noted that Joseph never told dispatch he had picked up anybody.
He said, "Since I've been on the department for 28 years, it's always been grilled into me, that you get a time check when you have a female in custody. It's to protect the officer against allegations of wrongdoing."
On Friday the jury also saw photos of bruises on the alleged victim's arm and hand. The pictures were taken after the alleged assault.
But it's what jurors haven't seen that's perhaps most dramatic. Prosecutors claim there are several additional women ready to take the stand and tell the jury Joseph raped them. The judge will rule on whether to allow jurors to hear their testimony.
"His uniform is the main criteria of whether the judge will allow that evidence in," said KTRK legal analyst Joel Androphy. "It has to fit the mold of the case. If it starts being too dissimilar, it's too prejudicial.
Androphy says this testimony may be the judge's most important decision of the trial.
"This is devastating testimony," he said. "If this comes in, he's toast."
The decision on whether to allow that testimony is expected on Monday.
houston police department, local
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable
- Video: Lovie Smith interviews with Texans
- Video: JJ Watt now a superhero
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos