Amber Alert canceled after boy found safe
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A mother and her young son are safe after a frightening night. Police say they were abducted at gunpoint by the mother's ex-boyfriend, who is now in custody.
Seven-year-old Cameron James and his mother were found just a couple of hours after police issued an amber alert for Cameron. They were immediately taken to HPD headquarters to be debriefed.
Police have been talking to that suspect all morning and say they will be preparing charges against him.
What we've been told by police for now is that around 3:15am the suspect came into a house in the 1700 block of Ojeman Road and, at gunpoint, forcibly removed his ex-girlfriend and her son Cameron from the home.
I spoke with the homeowner, who is the mother of the victim's current boyfriend. She says the boy was crying and didn't want to go. She tried to convince the suspect to calm down, but that's when he turned the gun on her.
I was with her when we got word the child and his mother were found safely, and she broke down in tears.
"Thank you, thank you God. I got grandkids, you know," said homeowner Julia Solis. "They're OK."
After an Amber Alert was issued the mother and child were found together at the Western Inn, near Loop 610 and I-45. The suspect was taken into custody and his car was towed away. All the witnesses, including the mother and child, have been interviewed by investigators.
No charges have been filed at this point, so we're not identifying the suspect at this time.
amber alert, local, sonia azad
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase in north Houston 35 min ago
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box 46 min ago
- Two charged in death of North Texas student
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Big quake strikes off N. California, no tsunami threat