Amber Alert canceled after boy found safe
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A mother and her young son are safe after a frightening night. Police say they were abducted at gunpoint by the mother's ex-boyfriend, who is now in custody.
Seven-year-old Cameron James and his mother were found just a couple of hours after police issued an amber alert for Cameron. They were immediately taken to HPD headquarters to be debriefed.
Police have been talking to that suspect all morning and say they will be preparing charges against him.
What we've been told by police for now is that around 3:15am the suspect came into a house in the 1700 block of Ojeman Road and, at gunpoint, forcibly removed his ex-girlfriend and her son Cameron from the home.
I spoke with the homeowner, who is the mother of the victim's current boyfriend. She says the boy was crying and didn't want to go. She tried to convince the suspect to calm down, but that's when he turned the gun on her.
I was with her when we got word the child and his mother were found safely, and she broke down in tears.
"Thank you, thank you God. I got grandkids, you know," said homeowner Julia Solis. "They're OK."
After an Amber Alert was issued the mother and child were found together at the Western Inn, near Loop 610 and I-45. The suspect was taken into custody and his car was towed away. All the witnesses, including the mother and child, have been interviewed by investigators.
No charges have been filed at this point, so we're not identifying the suspect at this time.
amber alert, local, sonia azad
- Road rage incident ends with scare for young girl 1 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- One dead in auto-pedestrian wreck on south side of town
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck wil be charged
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston 15 min ago
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America comes to the aid of suspended student 12 min ago
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians