Police: METRO bus strikes female Hastings High School student in west Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A high school student was rushed to the hospital after being hit by a METRO bus right in front of her school.
The incident happened around 3:30pm on Bellaire Boulevard just west of Cook Road.
The Houston Police Department says two teenage girls were crossing Bellaire from a tree-lined median when one of them was struck by a METRO bus heading westbound on the road.
It's not clear how fast that bus was traveling, but it was fast enough to leave behind evidence of the impact: a cracked windshield and damage to the front panel near the bus' headlight.
We spoke with the mother of the friend who made it across the street. That eyewitness told her mom the girl was thrown several feet by the force of the impact.
"It was her friend, and they were on their way to the store. They were trying to catch the bus and all I know is that she called me screaming and hollering and I came right away," said Shevaughna Lockley, mother of the eyewitness.
We actually started talking to that bus driver and as he started explaining to us what happened, a representative from METRO pulled him away so we don't yet know his side of the story.
The mother of that eyewitness says the teen suffered both arm and leg injuries and some scrapes to her face. METRO Spokesperson Jerome Gray says the teen is in critical condition at Memorial Hermann Hospital.
We're told the victim is a 15-year-old student at nearby Hastings High School.
Gray says there was no crosswalk where the teen was walking but the driver will undergo the standard drug and alcohol tests. Per METRO policy, Gray says the driver also will be pulled off the streets until an initial investigation is complete.
Several people were aboard the bus when the wreck happened.
Police have shut down two lanes of Bellaire Boulevard as they continue to investigate.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for the latest details.
metro, local, kevin quinn
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course