Police: METRO bus strikes female Hastings High School student in west Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A high school student was rushed to the hospital after being hit by a METRO bus right in front of her school.
The incident happened around 3:30pm on Bellaire Boulevard just west of Cook Road.
The Houston Police Department says two teenage girls were crossing Bellaire from a tree-lined median when one of them was struck by a METRO bus heading westbound on the road.
It's not clear how fast that bus was traveling, but it was fast enough to leave behind evidence of the impact: a cracked windshield and damage to the front panel near the bus' headlight.
We spoke with the mother of the friend who made it across the street. That eyewitness told her mom the girl was thrown several feet by the force of the impact.
"It was her friend, and they were on their way to the store. They were trying to catch the bus and all I know is that she called me screaming and hollering and I came right away," said Shevaughna Lockley, mother of the eyewitness.
We actually started talking to that bus driver and as he started explaining to us what happened, a representative from METRO pulled him away so we don't yet know his side of the story.
The mother of that eyewitness says the teen suffered both arm and leg injuries and some scrapes to her face. METRO Spokesperson Jerome Gray says the teen is in critical condition at Memorial Hermann Hospital.
We're told the victim is a 15-year-old student at nearby Hastings High School.
Gray says there was no crosswalk where the teen was walking but the driver will undergo the standard drug and alcohol tests. Per METRO policy, Gray says the driver also will be pulled off the streets until an initial investigation is complete.
Several people were aboard the bus when the wreck happened.
Police have shut down two lanes of Bellaire Boulevard as they continue to investigate.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for the latest details.
metro, local, kevin quinn
- Local post offices open today for holiday rush 33 min ago
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished 31 min ago
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband wanted
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- No more ice, but cold weather continues 8 min ago
- Houstonians to pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 18 min ago
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- South Africans pray for Mandela 43 min ago
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay
- Icy storm sends Houston workers to help North Texas
- HFD captain receives award for courage
- Member of 2005 Astros World Series team returns