National Night Out tonight for Houston area
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Tonight is National Night Out. That means it's time for you to get outside and get to know your neighbors.
The anti-crime initiative is designed to strengthen community spirit and send a message to criminals. Most of the nation holds National Night Out in August, but Texas is holding the event tonight so residents can take advantage of the cool autumn temperature.
Houston Mayor Annise Parker says National Night Out is an event that gets communities energized.
"One of the things that shows how successful they are is the neighborhoods are eager to do them each year," said Mayor Parker.
The National Night Out coordinator for the Houston Police Department says just knowing your neighbors can help.
"It's real important for you to know your neighbors because nobody knows the community better than the people that live in that community," HPD Senior Officer J.L. Martinez said.
When we asked people in a southwest Houston neighborhood if they did know their neighbors, some admitted they hadn't.
"I don't really hang around too many people around here, I just stay to myself," one neighbor said.
And that's what the Houston police and National Night Out organizers hope to change.
"Well you know if we tend to take that and just sit and wait to be a victim, the we're not doing anything about it," Martinez said.
There are cookouts and block parties planned in Fort Bend County, Harris County and Houston. Click on the links below for more information:
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women 38 min ago
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer 16 min ago
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Battery dead? Use the virtual smartphone 44 min ago
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers