National Night Out tonight for Houston area
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Tonight is National Night Out. That means it's time for you to get outside and get to know your neighbors.
The anti-crime initiative is designed to strengthen community spirit and send a message to criminals. Most of the nation holds National Night Out in August, but Texas is holding the event tonight so residents can take advantage of the cool autumn temperature.
Houston Mayor Annise Parker says National Night Out is an event that gets communities energized.
"One of the things that shows how successful they are is the neighborhoods are eager to do them each year," said Mayor Parker.
The National Night Out coordinator for the Houston Police Department says just knowing your neighbors can help.
"It's real important for you to know your neighbors because nobody knows the community better than the people that live in that community," HPD Senior Officer J.L. Martinez said.
When we asked people in a southwest Houston neighborhood if they did know their neighbors, some admitted they hadn't.
"I don't really hang around too many people around here, I just stay to myself," one neighbor said.
And that's what the Houston police and National Night Out organizers hope to change.
"Well you know if we tend to take that and just sit and wait to be a victim, the we're not doing anything about it," Martinez said.
There are cookouts and block parties planned in Fort Bend County, Harris County and Houston. Click on the links below for more information:
- Heavily tattooed man accused of stabbing boy 9 min ago
- Mom reunited with child after car theft
- Big facelift proposed for Bush Airport terminal
- Stolen park statue returned to Texas City
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Child dies in rollover wreck along Gulf Freeway 23 min ago
- Car becomes lodged under box truck in SW Houston wreck 33 min ago
- School: Fourth-graders caught selling pot on campus
- Police: Intoxicated mom pushed baby in stroller
- Convict who escaped TX prison returns from Mexico 10 min ago
- Court filing: Tugboat in ship channel spill was speeding 3 min ago
- More space, shops coming to The Galleria 25 min ago
- Katy ISD student reportedly abducted from campus
- Texans land 2 primetime games
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
15 min ago