Bizarre alleged burglary leaves condo owner stunned
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- We have one of those stories that just seems too bizarre to believe, but we have it on camera.
It started as another 911 burglary call, but when police arrived, the victim told them she'd already found her stuff -- and the thieves.
Andrea Villareal's friend had just moved out of the condo she was leasing her.
"I came to mop the floor and noticed everything was gone," the tenant, who we're only identifying as Lina, told us.
Then Villareal arrived to find the vanity was ripped out of the wall.
"Even down to the Christmas tree that I had in storage," Villareal said.
So she says she did what anyone would do, started asking neighbors if they'd seen anything. Behind one of the doors...
"She saw her stuff in these idiots' houses," Lina said.
Villareal says she spotted her fridge, her vanity, and when she asked for an explanation, this is what she was told.
"They said they didn't know how my stuff got there," Villareal said.
When we asked for one, the neighbor told us this.
"I was trying to help her," the neighbor said.
The neighbor says it was just a misunderstanding, that he saw two other guys breaking into her place and they said they were movers. They then ran off and he stepped in.
"I had two guys that were down the street and said, 'Hey you want to help me move this?' I paid them $70 to put it all up in my place," the neighbor told us.
While officers were on the scene, Villareal got the brothers to start moving her stuff back in. She even got them to pay her for damages.
"It's the strangest thing that's ever happened to me," she said.
Police say for that, she agreed not to press charges.
"Here's a get-out-of-jail free card kids. Pay to fix what you've done. I hope you change your lives," Villareal said.
She says she feels lucky to have her stuff back, or at least some of it, in one piece.
Police say even though the woman didn't file charges, their investigation will move forward.
local, christine dobbyn
- Severe weather possible this morning
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 1 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- A&E claims death threats since Robertson's suspension 5 min ago
- New Houston light rail line to open for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Woman's body found in SW Houston; suspect arrested
- Prosecutors: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 6 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather 4 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish