Man arrested in fatal hit-and-run in League City
LEAGUE CITY, TX (KTRK) -- A family's three-year journey for closure after a deadly accident is almost over. A man is now in jail accused of the crime. The clue that lead police to the suspected killer was an apology note he left on the victim's body.
Alejandro Garcia was identified in this case as a suspect in July 2011 but ever since, police believe he has been on the run. With the help of a Galveston County Precinct 8 deputy, League City police finally arrested him Tuesday and the victim's aunt got to see it for herself.
"It gives me peace," Helen Green said.
It was the moment Green has been waiting for three years -- Alejandro Garcia's arrest, and it was made sweeter by the fact she was an eyewitness.
"He left my nephew out there to die," she said.
Green lives just four houses down from Garcia, the man League City police believe hit and killed her nephew Maurice Jones in March 2009.
"I miss him, I miss him very, very much," he said.
Jones was last known to be walking home from work along Dickinson Avenue. The next day an officer found his body on the side of the road along with a remorseful handwritten note mentioning family.
"That was cowardness that he had a family to think about. Well Maurice got a family too," Green said.
It took two years for police to identify Garcia as a suspect and by then they believe he had fled to Mexico. But everyday Green had to drive by his house where Garcia's family remained.
"It's like someone stabbed me in the back constantly," Green said.
On Monday, authorities got a tip Garcia was back. On Tuesday, they arrested him, and Green got home in time to see him in handcuffs.
"I felt like I won a million dollars yesterday and I still feel like that," Green said.
Garcia is currently in the Galveston County Jail on a $50,000 bond. He is charged with failure to stop and render aid.
Garcia's mother also was arrested Tuesday and charged for allegedly getting in the way of her son's arrest.
league city, local, jessica willey
- Girl finds mother shot to death in SW Houston 29 min ago
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Dog rescued from fire in Conroe 40 min ago
- Apartments under construction burn in 2-alarm blaze
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- Homeowner questions handling of Christmas package
- Methodist: Personal info of 1,300 transplant patients stolen
- Ice to linger over much of Texas 21 min ago
- Officer who fired at van with kids in it terminated
- Video: Dog shoplifts and buries treats
- Katy rolls to playoff win over Manvel
35 min ago