Police fatally shoot armed man in Baytown
BAYTOWN, TX (KTRK) -- A violent confrontation inside a Baytown apartment complex led to a chase and then a gun battle in the road, ultimately ending with the suspect dead.
Baytown police shot and killed that armed suspect during a shoot-out in the middle of the day on Thursday. It happened at the intersection of Decker and Airhart, near Spur 330.
Police have identified the suspect as Frederick Wayne Grayson. Police say Grayson, 45, was threatening to kill himself before shooting at the four officers.
Eyewitness Joshua Walter said, "I heard her scream. I told the manager to make sure she was OK."
Residents living at a Baytown apartment complex say they heard what sounded like gunshots go off inside this apartment.
"I was telling the people to get out of the way because I don't know where the bullets are going to go when it does," said eyewitness Lee McDowell.
According to police, after Grayson left, the women living in the apartment called police for help. A short time later an officer patrolling the area witnessed the suspect's vehicle speeding down east Texas Avenue.
"He tried to stop the vehicle, unbeknownst to him this vehicle was directly involved in the initial shooting," said Eric Freed with the Baytown Police Department.
Police say as Grayson was entering Spur 330 he crashed into another car, sending the driver into the wall. The suspect then came to a stop on the side of the spur where officers approached the vehicle believing the suspect may have shot himself in the car.
Freed explained, "During the pursuit officers observed the suspect hold a firearm to his head."
But as officer got closer to the suspect's vehicle, they saw Grayson was pointing his gun at the window, ready to shoot.
"The suspect started firing his weapon through the driver's side window at the officers, he then sat up and leaned out the driver's side window, pointed his weapon at our officers and discharged his firearm," Freed said.
It was then that officers returned fire, shooting and killing Grayson. The four officers were not injured.
- HCSO: Sergeant killed by suspected drunk driver 32 min ago
- Man shot, killed inside restaurant in NW Harris Co.
- Houston demolishes dozens of nuisance buildings
- DEA officer involved in shooting in Galleria area
- House party ends with one dead, 3 others injured 2 min ago
- Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes
- Body of postal worker found in burned out Jeep
- Man found unconscious in NW Houston pool
- $590M-plus Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Fla 51 min ago
- Man armed with knife robs Rosenberg bank
- Photos: Memorial Hermann Ironman triathlon
- otrc: Meet the new Star Trek villain
- abcnews: Passenger jet makes belly landing in Newark
- Video: Trapped ducklings saved by phone app
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos