Undocumented immigrants taken into custody during traffic stop
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Authorities say suspected illegal immigrants took off running after the pickup truck they were in was pulled over in north Houston early this morning.
Police have called off their active search for those who got away, but 12 people -- 11 men and one woman -- were detained. They all appear to be between the ages of 20 and 40 years old. Police believe they are all undocumented immigrants.
Authorities say they pulled over the Ford F-250 pickup truck on Tidwell near Bauman at about 2:30am because the license plates showed it was stolen. They say as soon as the truck pulled over, people started pouring out from the bed of the truck and running in every direction.
Those were who were taken into custody were given water. Police say some of them said they hadn't had anything to drink for days.
Homeland Security investigators are on the scene and a bus from ICE was expected as well.
- Tanker spill cleanup to continue overnight
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7M older model Jeeps
- Officials: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder
- Gay pride parade's condom policy draws criticism
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Houston man sentenced for operating bogus ambulance companies
- Texas Equusearch hit by criminals
- Minn. mother, son accused of stealing gopher feet
- Diving great Greg Louganis to marry in fall
- Residents fire through door, killing woman
- Woodlands woman accused of setting fire to boyfriend's home
- otrc: Johnny Depp talks split with Vanessa Paradis
- abcnews: NFL player's home searched after killing
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos