Undocumented immigrants taken into custody during traffic stop
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Authorities say suspected illegal immigrants took off running after the pickup truck they were in was pulled over in north Houston early this morning.
Police have called off their active search for those who got away, but 12 people -- 11 men and one woman -- were detained. They all appear to be between the ages of 20 and 40 years old. Police believe they are all undocumented immigrants.
Authorities say they pulled over the Ford F-250 pickup truck on Tidwell near Bauman at about 2:30am because the license plates showed it was stolen. They say as soon as the truck pulled over, people started pouring out from the bed of the truck and running in every direction.
Those were who were taken into custody were given water. Police say some of them said they hadn't had anything to drink for days.
Homeland Security investigators are on the scene and a bus from ICE was expected as well.
- HPD: Fight between roommates ends in shooting 23 min ago
- Helping those left homeless by fire
- Man accused of leaving co-worker naked in ditch
- Cleveland ISD: Girl resisting officer hit with Taser
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 6 min ago
- Marine's body sent home without heart 20 min ago
- Aaron Hernandez: Life in jail less stressful
- Canadian airline granting Christmas wishes 37 min ago
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake' 3 min ago
- Marine reels in great white while fishing on beach 20 min ago
- Winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers drawn
- Special member of abc13 family passes away
- Want to buy pot, legally? Head to Uruguay 36 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos