Undocumented immigrants taken into custody during traffic stop
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Authorities say suspected illegal immigrants took off running after the pickup truck they were in was pulled over in north Houston early this morning.
Police have called off their active search for those who got away, but 12 people -- 11 men and one woman -- were detained. They all appear to be between the ages of 20 and 40 years old. Police believe they are all undocumented immigrants.
Authorities say they pulled over the Ford F-250 pickup truck on Tidwell near Bauman at about 2:30am because the license plates showed it was stolen. They say as soon as the truck pulled over, people started pouring out from the bed of the truck and running in every direction.
Those were who were taken into custody were given water. Police say some of them said they hadn't had anything to drink for days.
Homeland Security investigators are on the scene and a bus from ICE was expected as well.
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool 1 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Two injured when SUV drives into barber shop
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight 17 min ago
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course 49 min ago
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects