SWAT standoff in SW Houston ends peacefully
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A SWAT standoff in southwest Houston that lasted for hours overnight came to a peaceful end this morning when a man who was holed up in an apartment surrendered.
It started last night at around 9pm. Authorities say the suspect's pickup truck broke down and he called his brother. His brother arrived with a friend and the three of them decided to take off and leave the disabled vehicle behind.
At some point, there was an argument between the brothers, and the first man shot his weapon out the window. The other brother and his friend managed to bail out of the vehicle. They were not injured.
Police say the suspect kept travelling in his brother's vehicle and then at Hillcroft and South Main, the suspect, for some unknown reason, fired at another motorist. The motorist was hit and taken to Ben Taub Hospital. He is expected to survive.
The armed suspect then fled to his apartment. A patrol officer went to the door and the suspect told authorities he wouldn't come out. He barricaded himself inside and that's when the SWAT team was called.
The suspect apparently shot several rounds from his balcony at one point during the standoff, but it ended peacefully when he surrendered just before 6am.
local, elissa rivas
- Boy, 3, drowns in apartment pool in SW Houston
- House party ends with one dead, 2 others injured
- Tornadoes strike Kansas, Oklahoma
- HCSO: Sergeant killed by suspected drunk driver
- Man injured after driving lesson gone wrong
- Police investigating 2 deaths in west Houston
- Botox now big with 20-somethings
- What kinds of luxury cars can you buy in Houston?
- Local Marine killed in duty honored for bravery
- Person of interest located in death of mail carrier
- Winner crowned at Gyro Eating Championship
- otrc: No 'Bridesmaids' sequel for Wiig
- abcnews: 5 security tips for Facebook mobile
- Video: Huge tornado caught on camera in Kansas
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos