SWAT standoff in SW Houston ends peacefully
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A SWAT standoff in southwest Houston that lasted for hours overnight came to a peaceful end this morning when a man who was holed up in an apartment surrendered.
It started last night at around 9pm. Authorities say the suspect's pickup truck broke down and he called his brother. His brother arrived with a friend and the three of them decided to take off and leave the disabled vehicle behind.
At some point, there was an argument between the brothers, and the first man shot his weapon out the window. The other brother and his friend managed to bail out of the vehicle. They were not injured.
Police say the suspect kept travelling in his brother's vehicle and then at Hillcroft and South Main, the suspect, for some unknown reason, fired at another motorist. The motorist was hit and taken to Ben Taub Hospital. He is expected to survive.
The armed suspect then fled to his apartment. A patrol officer went to the door and the suspect told authorities he wouldn't come out. He barricaded himself inside and that's when the SWAT team was called.
The suspect apparently shot several rounds from his balcony at one point during the standoff, but it ended peacefully when he surrendered just before 6am.
local, elissa rivas
- Body pulled from rubble of burned down home 15 min ago
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery 12 min ago
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her 51 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Photos: Home used in 'The Kardashians' for sale 14 min ago
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Girl bitten 100 times in New Zealand dog attack
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- Malaysian couple to hang for murder of maid
- Turkish PM threatens to ban Facebook, YouTube
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos