Teen fatally shot at southeast Houston aparment complex
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police are investigating after a teenager was shot and killed at a southeast Houston apartment complex.
The shooting happened around 7:30pm at the Green Arbor apartment complex on Sabo Road near Almeda Mall.
To hear neighbors tell it, it was just a Friday night basketball game on the court inside the Green Arbor apartment complex. That is, until the shots rang out.
"I heard seven gun shots ... and then I pushed my grandson inside the house. I told my husband, 'What's going on?' and he said somebody's shooting out there," Eyewitness Toni Green said. "A few minutes later, I saw someone run to his car."
Green says the shooter drove off in an older model Lincoln. Soon, friends and family began to realize that a teenager was shot.
Family members tell us the 15-year-old shooting victim is in 10th grade and came to the apartment complex to shoot hoops with a friend.
Lou Rodgers was a friend of the victim.
"Gunshots were flying. I'm trying to move from the gunshots. Out of all us, one of our partners got hit. He just ran up on us and started shooting at us for no reason," Rodgers said.
As the evening wore on, a large crowd began gathering at the complex, wondering what caused the shooting and why a teenager, who everyone says does not even live there, became the victim.
The investigation is just starting, but Green says there is no excuse for the violence.
"Not again. I just left an apartments where people were getting killed, so it's sad. It's real sad," Green said.
Homicide investigators remained at the scene late Friday night to interview different people, but the victim's mother tells us she's worried that even if people saw things, they may not be forthcoming everything they know.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for the latest details.
local, miya shay
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces 34 min ago
- Details to be released on plans for 2017 Super Bowl
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County
- Child abducted walking home from school
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake
- Hearing scheduled to terminate rights of Baby Chloe's parents
- New facial filler targets tiny wrinkles
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe 13 min ago
- Newest 'Dancing' winner crowned
- Do you know all the apps your kids are using?
- Microsoft's Xbox One to go on sale late 2013
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved 12 min ago
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone
- Aerials of Moore tornado damage
33 min ago