Teen fatally shot at southeast Houston aparment complex
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police are investigating after a teenager was shot and killed at a southeast Houston apartment complex.
The shooting happened around 7:30pm at the Green Arbor apartment complex on Sabo Road near Almeda Mall.
To hear neighbors tell it, it was just a Friday night basketball game on the court inside the Green Arbor apartment complex. That is, until the shots rang out.
"I heard seven gun shots ... and then I pushed my grandson inside the house. I told my husband, 'What's going on?' and he said somebody's shooting out there," Eyewitness Toni Green said. "A few minutes later, I saw someone run to his car."
Green says the shooter drove off in an older model Lincoln. Soon, friends and family began to realize that a teenager was shot.
Family members tell us the 15-year-old shooting victim is in 10th grade and came to the apartment complex to shoot hoops with a friend.
Lou Rodgers was a friend of the victim.
"Gunshots were flying. I'm trying to move from the gunshots. Out of all us, one of our partners got hit. He just ran up on us and started shooting at us for no reason," Rodgers said.
As the evening wore on, a large crowd began gathering at the complex, wondering what caused the shooting and why a teenager, who everyone says does not even live there, became the victim.
The investigation is just starting, but Green says there is no excuse for the violence.
"Not again. I just left an apartments where people were getting killed, so it's sad. It's real sad," Green said.
Homicide investigators remained at the scene late Friday night to interview different people, but the victim's mother tells us she's worried that even if people saw things, they may not be forthcoming everything they know.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for the latest details.
local, miya shay
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane 10 min ago
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV 21 min ago
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder 38 min ago
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW 13 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat