Rare manatee sightings around Galveston
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- This weekend the Texas Marine Mammal Stranding Network is on the lookout for a manatee in Galveston.
A West Indian manatee was seen swimming in the canals off Offatts Bayou near Moody Gardens. A manatee sighting was also reported near Tiki Village on the other side of West Galveston Bay. Manatees have been protected as an endangered species since 1972.
Anyone who sees a manatee is encouraged not to touch to the animal and to call 800-9-MAMMAL.
- Boy, 15, bitten by shark at Surfside Beach
- Court says pre-Miranda silence can be used
- Police: Teen dies trying to protect his mom
- Bullet-proof glass saves store clerk during shooting
- Robbers hit jewelry store in The Woodlands
- One dead in multi-vehicle wreck in N. Harris Co.
- Resident fights to save tree in The Heights
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Webster flower shop murder shocks community
- NASA picks 8 new astronauts, 4 of them women
- Photos: Daytime Emmy Awards red carpet arrivals
- otrc: Kim Kardashian gives birth to baby girl
- abcnews: Burned woman warns of spa dangers
- Video: Good Samaritan stabbed by own sword