Race for the Cure takes over downtown Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Downtown Houston went pink Saturday morning for the 22nd annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. Tens of thousands of people walked and ran to raise money for breast cancer research and treatment.
"You've got so many people and everyone is touched by this somehow and we're all in it to win it," said race participant Connie Dove.
An estimated 30,000 people packed downtown Houston for the city's annual event.
"We've raised about two million dollars," said Justine Schulerud with the Race for the Cure. "Our goal every year is about three million, so we're getting there. The money goes to research, education and screening right here in the Houston area."
Some who came out are cancer survivors. Others are supporting friends and family. Still others came out to raise awareness of a disease that kills nearly half a million people every year.
"I'm a new survivor," said participant Diandra Domino. "In fact, I'm still going through therapy and treatments, but I'm here to give my support and pass the word so everyone can be aware of breast cancer."
"We want to be future doctors and we want to help the world so we figured we'd start out here," said participant Brittany Aleman.
Arthur Fano came out to honor of his mom's battle with cancer.
"I'm very proud that she survived it," he said. "I'm just proud of her."
"It's a hard fight and if you can beat this you can do anything," said survivor Carolyn Leeds.
It's a promise that a community working together can make a difference, one step at a time.
- Shots fired during armored car robbery 18 min ago
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder 57 min ago
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man 39 min ago
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Drunk man demanded bed to sleep
- Woman found living with dead spouse for month
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school 9 min ago