Police identify teen killed in shooting in southeast Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A 15-year-old was gunned down during a neighborhood game of basketball in southeast Houston Friday night. Now, Houston police have more details about what may have led to the shooting, but say questions still remain.
It happened inside the park at an apartment complex on Sabo near Almeda. Police say there was a fight between two people at the time of the shooting, but they are still investigating whether the teen who was shot was involved in that fight.
Police have identified the victim as 15-year-old Thomas Williams, Jr. On Saturday, a small memorial was put up where Williams lost his life.
Witnesses with whom we spoke Saturday afternoon say they heard at least six gunshots. One witness tells us he heard the first five gunshots and then saw the suspect jump on Williams and shoot him a sixth time.
The witness tells us he just moved into the apartment complex, but after seeing this shooting, he is considering moving for the safety of this family.
"My entire life, I have never seen something like that happen," said resident Juan Garcia. "To me, they are just kids. There are kids playing. There is a playground here and they just come and hang out here."
According to police, they are still looking for the suspect who shot and killed Williams. At the time of shooting, there were numerous eyewitnesses, many of them also teens who were gathered back at the complex Saturday.
If you have any information about the suspect involved in this shooting, you are urged to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver killed after slamming into students' SUV
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days