Police identify teen killed in shooting in southeast Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A 15-year-old was gunned down during a neighborhood game of basketball in southeast Houston Friday night. Now, Houston police have more details about what may have led to the shooting, but say questions still remain.
It happened inside the park at an apartment complex on Sabo near Almeda. Police say there was a fight between two people at the time of the shooting, but they are still investigating whether the teen who was shot was involved in that fight.
Police have identified the victim as 15-year-old Thomas Williams, Jr. On Saturday, a small memorial was put up where Williams lost his life.
Witnesses with whom we spoke Saturday afternoon say they heard at least six gunshots. One witness tells us he heard the first five gunshots and then saw the suspect jump on Williams and shoot him a sixth time.
The witness tells us he just moved into the apartment complex, but after seeing this shooting, he is considering moving for the safety of this family.
"My entire life, I have never seen something like that happen," said resident Juan Garcia. "To me, they are just kids. There are kids playing. There is a playground here and they just come and hang out here."
According to police, they are still looking for the suspect who shot and killed Williams. At the time of shooting, there were numerous eyewitnesses, many of them also teens who were gathered back at the complex Saturday.
If you have any information about the suspect involved in this shooting, you are urged to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
- HPD: Dead man found at grow house
- Driver charged with murder after deadly police chase
- Sketch of rapist suspect released
- Police: W. Houston apartment fire was no accident
- Man tells deputies he shot his wife
- Liberty Co. jailer accused of smuggling drugs to inmates
- Whataburger ketchup hits grocery shelves
- Alleged drug money seized in Liberty County
- Houston city pools open this weekend
- Deputy killed in wreck to be laid to rest Saturday
- JJ Watt 'MegaWatt' shoes will soon hit store shelves
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- raw video: Pilot captures video of volcano eruption