Investigation continues into death of Long Island toddler
MIDDLENTOWN, New York -- The remains of a child were found in Farmingdale over the weekend, after the child's mother told police that her son died two years ago.
Eyewitness News traveled to Orange County, where the family once lived.
Neighbors on that street may very well be the last ones to have seen just 17-month-old Justin Kowalczik alive.
But they only remember him as an infant, not as a toddler.
Heather Kowalczik lived in a second floor apartment in this house on Charles Street in Middletown two years ago with her three sons.
She wasn't well known on the street.
But her former downstairs neighbor told Eyewitness News she babysat Justin when he was two months old when his mother went to the store.
Kowalczik moved from her Orange County home to Farmaingdale, Long Island where investigators dug up the remains of her 17-month-old son, Saturday.
Neighbor say investigators were in the neighborhood asking questions Friday.
"They came and asked us questions ...they were looking for her boyfriend," said Robyn Robbins.
The results of an autopsy with a cause of death is expected to take a while.
No arrests have been made.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
amber alert, farmingdale, long island, nassau county, local news
- Girl finds mother shot to death in SW Houston
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Cold, damp weather to continue
- Dog rescued from fire in Conroe
- Apartments under construction burn in 2-alarm blaze
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Ice to linger over much of Texas
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- Homeowner questions handling of Christmas package
- Methodist: Personal info of 1,300 transplant patients stolen
- Video: Dog shoplifts and buries treats