Alleged Russian agent appears before federal judge for bond hearing
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- We have developments involving a Houston business, accused of illegally selling equipment to Russia's military and intelligence agency. New information is coming out in federal court, where three of the suspects are hoping a judge will grant them bail.
Alexander Fishenko and two of his salespeople, both women, attended the detention hearing.
Fishenko, owner of Arc Electronics Inc. in southwest Houston, is accused of being an agent of the Russian government. We were there last week when that business was raided.
He and seven of his employees, all of Russian descent, were arrested. According to its website, Arc says it's a manufacturer of traffic lights, when in fact, the government says it was just an exporter that resold things like microelectronics to Russia for a wide range of military uses, including radars, surveillance and guidance systems, as well as detonation triggers.
In a rare move, the FBI on Wednesday released photos of two other men wanted in connection to this case. They are Sergey Klinov and Yuri Savin.
The FBI is asking a judge to detain Fishenko and his employees, citing the fact they have Russian passports and have traveled abroad recently. However, Fishenko's attorney says Fishenko and his wife came to the US as refugees in the early 90s and have a seven-year-old son. He says the family has roots here, as well as a home and acreage in Fort Bend County so he wants his client released on bond.
The judge has yet to make a decision.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for the latest on this story.
local, jessica willey
- Boy, 3, drowns in apartment pool in SW Houston
- House party ends with one dead, 2 others injured
- Person of interest located in death of mail carrier
- HCSO: Sergeant killed by suspected drunk driver
- Police investigating 2 deaths in west Houston 48 min ago
- Tornadoes strike Kansas, Oklahoma
- Local Marine killed in duty honored for bravery
- Driver killed when SUV goes airborne
- Winner crowned at Gyro Eating Championship
- Man found fatally shot at Motel 6 in east Houston
- Photos: Memorial Hermann Ironman triathlon
- otrc: No 'Bridesmaids' sequel for Wiig
- abcnews: 5 security tips for Facebook mobile
- Video: Huge tornado caught on camera in Kansas
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos