Residents in NW Houston neighborhood on alert after rash of robberies
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Residents in one northwest Houston neighborhood are on alert and looking out for each other right now after a rash of robberies.
There have been at least five armed robberies in a week's time in the Oak Forest community. Neighbors tell us it appears the violent armed robbers who've been hitting the area seem to be getting more aggressive in their attacks.
"A gentleman runs out with a gun pulled and puts it to my head and demands my wallet," said a man who only wanted to be identified as 'Thomas.'
He says he was robbed in his driveway on Saxon last week. Then just last night...
"The guy sneaked up behind me and knocked me down and put a gun to my face," Robert Smith told us.
Smith became a victim too. He says a thief attacked him in his driveway, demanded his wallet, then ran off.
"He ran to his car, and shot the gun off in the air," said Smith.
Neighbors here are now concerned knowing those men aren't the only robbery victims this week and learning the unknown gunmen are getting more aggressive.
"What bothers me is the fact that he did that and they said we'll be back," Thomas said.
Neighbors and police are reporting at least five armed robberies in Oak Forest in just over a week. They say victims have been targeted in Martin Street, Saxon, Cheshire, Lamonte and near 43rd and Glebe.
"When it happened to me, it was a white SUV. I thought it was a Cherokee," said Thomas. "Pretty clean-looking, 6 foot. Looked like someone just going to the grocery store."
A good Samaritan found Smith's wallet while out walking her dog in a neighboring subdivision Wednesday morning. All of the cash was missing, but his cards were still there.
"To my neighbors, I say be very careful with people following you, and make sure that there's nobody around you when you are getting out of your car," Smith said.
Victims also reported seeing a dark or blue sedan leaving one scene on Tuesday night. Police are encouraging everyone to be cautious of your surroundings coming to and from home. They're asking anyone with information about the armed robberies in Oak Forest to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
local, demond fernandez
- Bodies of two women found in Galveston County
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe? 6 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan
- Save during spring break with freebies 30 min ago
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah