Residents in NW Houston neighborhood on alert after rash of robberies
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Residents in one northwest Houston neighborhood are on alert and looking out for each other right now after a rash of robberies.
There have been at least five armed robberies in a week's time in the Oak Forest community. Neighbors tell us it appears the violent armed robbers who've been hitting the area seem to be getting more aggressive in their attacks.
"A gentleman runs out with a gun pulled and puts it to my head and demands my wallet," said a man who only wanted to be identified as 'Thomas.'
He says he was robbed in his driveway on Saxon last week. Then just last night...
"The guy sneaked up behind me and knocked me down and put a gun to my face," Robert Smith told us.
Smith became a victim too. He says a thief attacked him in his driveway, demanded his wallet, then ran off.
"He ran to his car, and shot the gun off in the air," said Smith.
Neighbors here are now concerned knowing those men aren't the only robbery victims this week and learning the unknown gunmen are getting more aggressive.
"What bothers me is the fact that he did that and they said we'll be back," Thomas said.
Neighbors and police are reporting at least five armed robberies in Oak Forest in just over a week. They say victims have been targeted in Martin Street, Saxon, Cheshire, Lamonte and near 43rd and Glebe.
"When it happened to me, it was a white SUV. I thought it was a Cherokee," said Thomas. "Pretty clean-looking, 6 foot. Looked like someone just going to the grocery store."
A good Samaritan found Smith's wallet while out walking her dog in a neighboring subdivision Wednesday morning. All of the cash was missing, but his cards were still there.
"To my neighbors, I say be very careful with people following you, and make sure that there's nobody around you when you are getting out of your car," Smith said.
Victims also reported seeing a dark or blue sedan leaving one scene on Tuesday night. Police are encouraging everyone to be cautious of your surroundings coming to and from home. They're asking anyone with information about the armed robberies in Oak Forest to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
local, demond fernandez
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- Police: Man suffocated son so he could play video games 1 min ago
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio
- Woman forgives son's killer at the gallows
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Use natural dyes to decorate Easter eggs
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards