Residents in NW Houston neighborhood on alert after rash of robberies
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Residents in one northwest Houston neighborhood are on alert and looking out for each other right now after a rash of robberies.
There have been at least five armed robberies in a week's time in the Oak Forest community. Neighbors tell us it appears the violent armed robbers who've been hitting the area seem to be getting more aggressive in their attacks.
"A gentleman runs out with a gun pulled and puts it to my head and demands my wallet," said a man who only wanted to be identified as 'Thomas.'
He says he was robbed in his driveway on Saxon last week. Then just last night...
"The guy sneaked up behind me and knocked me down and put a gun to my face," Robert Smith told us.
Smith became a victim too. He says a thief attacked him in his driveway, demanded his wallet, then ran off.
"He ran to his car, and shot the gun off in the air," said Smith.
Neighbors here are now concerned knowing those men aren't the only robbery victims this week and learning the unknown gunmen are getting more aggressive.
"What bothers me is the fact that he did that and they said we'll be back," Thomas said.
Neighbors and police are reporting at least five armed robberies in Oak Forest in just over a week. They say victims have been targeted in Martin Street, Saxon, Cheshire, Lamonte and near 43rd and Glebe.
"When it happened to me, it was a white SUV. I thought it was a Cherokee," said Thomas. "Pretty clean-looking, 6 foot. Looked like someone just going to the grocery store."
A good Samaritan found Smith's wallet while out walking her dog in a neighboring subdivision Wednesday morning. All of the cash was missing, but his cards were still there.
"To my neighbors, I say be very careful with people following you, and make sure that there's nobody around you when you are getting out of your car," Smith said.
Victims also reported seeing a dark or blue sedan leaving one scene on Tuesday night. Police are encouraging everyone to be cautious of your surroundings coming to and from home. They're asking anyone with information about the armed robberies in Oak Forest to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
local, demond fernandez
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces 2 min ago
- Details to be released on plans for 2017 Super Bowl 27 min ago
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County
- Child abducted walking home from school
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake
- Hearing scheduled to terminate rights of Baby Chloe's parents
- Autopsy ordered on Texas City inmate who died
- IRS official Lois Lerner: 'I did nothing wrong' 12 min ago
- New facial filler targets tiny wrinkles
- 1 killed, 3 students hurt in school bus accident in East TX
- Newest 'Dancing' winner crowned
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Travis Herzog's midday weather forecast
31 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos