Rash of burglaries, theft in one north Harris County neighborhood
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There is concern from neighbors in one north Harris County community who are dealing with a big spike in burglaries.
There have been nearly two dozen homes broken into in just the past month in the Northridge Park area, nestled between I-45 and the Hardy Toll Road near Bush Intercontinental Airport.
In this neighborhood, people work hard and generally feel safe, especially with patrol unit cars parked in driveways.
"Sheriff stays there, HPD officer stays there," said one neighbor.
But lately, that's changed.
"It was just a surreal feeling to come into your house knowing someone had rummaged through there," said crime victim Greg Okuhara.
Last week, Okuhara came home from work to find someone kicked open his front door, ransacked his bedroom and stole his stuff.
"Some computers, Xbox gaming system, golf clubs and some hockey jerseys," said Okuhara.
According to the Harris County Sheriff's Office crime report, he is not alone. In the last 30 days, there have been 22 home burglaries within the 77073 zip code.
"I didn't think it was that high, but I knew it was pretty, pretty bad," said neighbor Roy Jackson. "Then when I saw it was kicked in a couple doors from my house I figured yes; that's why I'm checking on my stuff right now."
Forcing folks like Jackson to leave work twice a day, just to check on his house. It's a luxury most here can't afford, but Jackson's neighbors have peace of mind knowing someone is looking out for them.
"When your sense of security is violated like that, it's unfortunate," said Okuhara.
Besides the burglaries, there have been 32 thefts from cars in the last month.
local, sonia azad
- Police investigating attempted smash-and-grab 9 min ago
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare
- Teen fatally shot remembered in service in Spring
- Car leaves gaping hole in apartment complex
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault 45 min ago
- 'Dancing With the Stars' season 18 kicks off tonight 7 min ago
- Residents jump from windows to escape apartment fire
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded
- Keep grays at bay with root touch-up products
- Crimea votes to secede from Ukraine
- Canada-Mexico flight makes emergency Montana stop
- Fiat recalling more than 18,000 2014 Fiat 500Ls 55 min ago
- Cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Travis Herzog's Monday weather forecast
14 min ago