Cy-Fair student back home after spending a day in juvenile detention for outburst at school
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A ten-year-old boy is back home after a day behind bars. He was arrested after an outburst at Cy-Fair's Emmott Elementary school. The boy tells Eyewitness News the lesson he learned after being forced to spend the night away from his loved ones.
"It was a experience that I will never forget," said Darrin Banks.
Those were some of Darrin's first words after a judge released him into the custody of his family Friday. The boy spent the night in a juvenile detention center after he acted up in class. Cy-Fair ISD says he vandalized school property and assaulted a teacher.
The boy's family says the fourth-grader had an outburst. The district refuses to say whether the teacher was hurt. Banks, meanwhile, says he learned an important lesson.
"I'm grateful that I'm out and I can actually have the opportunity to experience so I can know never to come back," said Darrin.
Darrin's family is upset the boy was arrested, while Cy-Fair ISD did not expel or detain a high school student accused of shooting a boy in the face with a pellet gun this week.
"I'm not pleased with the way they handled it, but we're just going to try to go from here and see what happens," said Darrin's great-grandmother, Anna Patterson.
A Cy-Fair ISD spokesperson tells Eyewitness News there are mitigating details in each case that she cannot reveal due to federal privacy laws. Patterson is just happy her great-grandson will now be with her.
"I'm just overjoyed and it's not all over, but this day is," she said.
Darrin will have to return to court and go before a judge after undergoing a psychological exam.
local, gina gaston
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- IRS uses woman's tax refund to pay old debt
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Motorcycle chase ends in fiery crash with patrol vehicle 1 min ago
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger' 23 min ago
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- Teen faces sexting charges following social media mistake
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- Church offering drive-through prayers
- Dannon to reduce sugar in yogurt for kids