Man fatally stabbed after Texans viewing party
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The search for suspects after a man is stabbed to death in a neighborhood where a huge Houston Texans watch party was going on.
That stabbing happened Sunday night on the north side. The party was happening in a yellow house in the 4700 block of McEwen near Cavalcade. But once things spilled out into the street, the victim was stabbed two doors down, in front of his own house.
Neighbor Jerry Laramore said, "Every time there's a ball game, there's a lot of people out there."
Laramore says waking up to a lot of noise outside his window during a Texans game, is not unusual. But Sunday night, there was more than noise.
"I heard them fighting," said neighbor Vickie Cruz. "I just heard bottles, slamming bottles. That's what I heard was cracking bottles."
Police say after the Texans game wrapped up, officers got a call for help. They arrived to break up what cops describe as a large street brawl. But before they got to the scene, one man was stabbed. Family rushed him to Ben Taub Hospital, where he later died.
"Oh yeah, I knew him well. He called me uncle," said Laramore. "I'm not really his uncle but he called me uncle. All the kids do."
The victim's name isn't being released until his entire family is notified. His sister told me he was just 20 years old, and the father of a two-year-old baby girl.
"He was a really nice guy," said neighbor Joann Chapa. "I can't believe this happened to him. He never harmed nobody, he never did nothing to nobody."
Cruz just chatted with the young victim on Sunday, and now asks the same question police are working to answer as well.
"When his sister told me this morning I just broke down crying," she recalled. "I said, 'What happened?'"
The suspect is still at large. Police say they are following up on leads, but anyone with information in this case is urged to contact the HPD Homicide Division at 713-308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
local, sonia azad
- Search in OK nears complettion; tornado was EF5 18 min ago
- Houston will host Super Bowl LI in 2017
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County
- Child abducted walking home from school
- Watching line of storms to our north
- 2nd suspect in Alief murders surrenders 15 min ago
- Katy Fire Chief indicted in Valium diversion case 7 min ago
- U.S. Senate panel approves immigration bill 2 min ago
- Menil Picasso vandal sentenced to 2 years
- Houston women take on fight to end sex trafficking 46 min ago
- Officials link College Station's E. coli cases to restaurant
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 'Very graphic' devastation at OK elem. school
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos