Olympic BMX cyclist dies in wreck in Conroe
CONROE, TX (KTRK) -- Family and friends are remembering BMX Olympic cyclist Kyle Bennett. He died in an accident early yesterday morning.
Bennett was driving home to Conroe just after 2am to meet his fiancee when he lost control of his truck on Old Highway 105 near Southshore Drive. Bennett was found dead at the scene.
News of his death spread yesterday on BMX-related websites, where fans expressed their condolences and praised the champion racer as an inspiration.
The 33-year-old recently earned a spot in the BMX Hall of Fame as the team captain of the USA's first Olympic team in 2008.
You can read more about this story in the Courier of Montgomery County, one of our Houston Community Newspaper partners.
texas, conroe, local
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver killed after slamming into students' SUV 58 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation 54 min ago
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days