Woman accused of using stolen identities to buy prescription drug Vicodin
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An employee at a dentist's office in Bellaire is accused of stealing the identities of more than a dozen patients, and police say she wanted only one thing.
At Dr. Karisha Madden's dental office, police say a new receptionist was up to no good. They say Angela Lee Collum, 40, was allegedly stealing patients' identification to get illegal prescription painkillers.
"This employee had been an employee for approximately 90 days, the past three months," said Boyd Shepherd, attorney for Dr. Madden.
Shepherd says a local pharmacist alerted Dr. Madden to the problem after noticing an unusually high amount of Vicodin and hydrocodone prescriptions were being filled.
"Dr. Madden, of course, is busy every day working with patients in the operatory. She puts a lot of trust in her office staff to manage patients."
But that trust was violated. Police say Collum illegally used the identity of 19 people in order to get pills for herself and her family between August 27 and September 10 of this year. The doctor says 14 of those victims are patients there.
Investigators say Collum illegally used their name and date of birth, along with her employers DEA number to call in prescriptions. They say she would transfer the order after hours to a pharmacy near her own home in Pasadena where Collum was allegedly caught on camera picking up the pills.
"Each one of those patients has been contacted by mail in accordance with the legal requirements for notifying them regarding a breach of their protected information," Shepherd said.
Now the dentist is contacting her patients and reporting the identity theft to state and federal agencies.
Collum is charged with fraudulent use of identifying information.
bellaire, pasadena, local, demond fernandez
- 4 killed, 3 injured in Pasadena taxi cab wreck 4 min ago
- Arrest made in fatal shooting of security guard 12 min ago
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir 5 min ago
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip club
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today 49 min ago
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies 19 min ago
- Behold, the pizza cake 17 min ago
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290 21 min ago
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident