Two dead after fiery head-on crash near Tomball
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two people are dead after a fiery head-on crash near Tomball.
The crash happened Tuesday morning along FM 2978 about five miles outside of Tomball in southwest Montgomery County. There is not much left of the pickup and a flat bed truck that collided near a curve in the road. Both trucks have smashed front ends that burned in a fire.
State troopers say two people riding in the flat bed truck died. The driver of the other truck survived and is not believed to be seriously injured.
DPS Trooper Erik Burse says the driver of the flatbed truck, 31-year-old Wilson Avelar, is in the process of being charged with two counts of negligent homicide.
The victims' names have not been released pending notification of family.
FM 2978 was closed as state troopers worked to figure out how the accident happened.
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning 13 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire 19 min ago
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year' 44 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1 35 min ago
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony 32 min ago
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses 13 min ago
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail 37 min ago
- No charges for Harris Co. judge accused of falsifying records 1 min ago
- Elf on the Shelf stress hits some parents hard
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash