Funeral held today for Sen. Gallegos
raw video: Friends, family say goodbye to Sen. Gallegos
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A funeral was held this morning for longtime Texas Senator Mario Gallegos.
Last night, Houstonians, friends and family joined state and local leaders in remembering Gallegos. He was known as a 'warrior' for education.
Those who knew him, both politically or personally, shared stories of the man who gained a reputation as a fighter. Gallegos served at the Houston fire department for 22 years before becoming the first Mexican-American State Senator from Harris County.
Gallegos died Tuesday after complications from a liver transplant five years ago.
"He will never be known for passing a ton of major legislation," said friend Harold Cook. "What he will be well known for is never running from the fight."
This morning's funeral mass begins at 9:30am at the Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral.
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Constable: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Katy blows late lead, falls to Cedar Hill in title game
- Allen tops Pearland 63-28, defends 5A D-I title
- Aledo beats Brenham 38-10 for 4th title in 5 years
- Things you didn't know about reindeer