Funeral held today for Sen. Gallegos
raw video: Friends, family say goodbye to Sen. Gallegos
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A funeral was held this morning for longtime Texas Senator Mario Gallegos.
Last night, Houstonians, friends and family joined state and local leaders in remembering Gallegos. He was known as a 'warrior' for education.
Those who knew him, both politically or personally, shared stories of the man who gained a reputation as a fighter. Gallegos served at the Houston fire department for 22 years before becoming the first Mexican-American State Senator from Harris County.
Gallegos died Tuesday after complications from a liver transplant five years ago.
"He will never be known for passing a ton of major legislation," said friend Harold Cook. "What he will be well known for is never running from the fight."
This morning's funeral mass begins at 9:30am at the Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral.
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston