Missing teen found bound, gagged in car near Meyerland Plaza
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A kidnapping or something else? Questions are being asked this morning after a missing teenage girl was found bound and gagged in the back of her car.
That teenager's parents woke up this morning and couldn't find her or her car and immediately called police.
The 16-year-old girl was found bound with duct tape in the parking lot of a 24-Hour Fitness club across from Meyerland Plaza, a few miles away from their home on Yarwell.
Eyewitness News was there as she was reunited with her parents this morning. Authorities found her sitting in the backseat of her vehicle, bound and gagged with duct tape.
Her parents called 911 at about 6:30am when they went to go wake her up for school and realized she and her vehicle were missing. So deputies started searching nearby areas and, at about 8am, they came across her Nissan Pathfinder a few miles away.
The girl was in the backseat and deputies describe her as "halfway alert" and "sleepy and tired." They say she didn't appear to be hurt and they're not sure if she was intoxicated or not.
We're told the girl refused to give any information to authorities, so they're not sure if she was kidnapped or what happened.
But they did interview those at the fitness center as part of their investigation..
"They just wanted to know if that car was here when I arrived. I've never seen anything like this, never. For the most part, and I come here quite frequently, I've never had any issues here," said Carla Cohodes.
Investigators have taken the girl's laptop and cell phone as evidence. They say they're not actively looking for suspects at this point because they don't know what to go on. They have no descriptions or any other information at this point.
The teen is at Texas Children's Hospital with her family and investigators right now.
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold 8 min ago
- Chase suspect crashes into tree in NW Houston
- Good Samaritan saves Christmas for foster child
- Mystery illness kills 4 in Montgomery County
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Suit: Risk of fire aboard Carnival's 'Triumph' known 33 min ago
- Delivery man hides present in trash...on trash day
- Man victimized in 'knockout game' style attack
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier
- Ashby High Rise opponents dealt winning hand
- Man tries to trade gator for beer
- Half-ton chocolate Santa on display at Hilton Americas
- Guide dog saves blind man who fell on subway tracks
- Feds: Harvard bomb threat was hoax to avoid final