Police: Woman tries snatching child from mom
LEAGUE CITY, TX (KTRK) -- A woman waiting for her husband to get off of work almost had her baby snatched from her, and now the woman accused of trying to kidnap the baby is in jail.
The incident happened around 4:45pm in the parking lot of a grocery store in the 200 block of South Egret Bay Boulevard.
The woman was waiting for her husband to finish his shift. She had her one-year-old son sitting on her lap in the front seat of the car when another woman approached and tried to pull the baby out of her lap.
The mother was injured as she tried to fight off the suspect, who's been identified as 51-year-old Melany James. Thankfully, a bystander jumped in and put a stop to the attack.
"She was trying to roll the windows up and lock the doors and get the baby out of the way," League City Spokeswoman Kristi Wyatt said. "During the situation, the suspect actually scratched her several times in the face. A citizen who was actually in the store came out and intervened and tackled the woman and held her until police were able to get here and make an arrest."
The mother was treated for the scratches on her face, as well as others on her back, at the scene by EMS.
Meanwhile, James is behind bars, being held on a $20,000 on an attempted kidnapping charge.
Police say James and the victim did not know each other.
league city, local, erik barajas
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston 18 min ago
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash 37 min ago
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas 4 min ago
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor 3 min ago
- Captain of S. Korea ferry among first to escape
- TDCJ van carrying prisoners crashes near El Campo
- Armed robber was never told to report to prison
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's featured...
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Police: Fight over woman ends in fatal stabbing
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green