MCSO: Man electrocuted while trying to steal copper
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A suspected copper thief is dead. Investigators say he was trying to steal copper from a substation in Montgomery County.
It happened at the Center Point substation along Interstate 45 and Sawdust. A man was electrocuted while deputies believe he was trying to steal copper from the facility.
Workers found the 37-year-old man lying on the ground, unconscious and surrounded by several tools at 10:45am. They believe the man entered the substation property through a cut in the fence which was likely used to gain entry and exit.
There is some copper missing from the area and deputies believe there could have been somebody else with him who ran off with the copper after his friend was electrocuted. No other suspects have been identified.
"They found several tools consistent with copper theft. There was some copper missing, some criminal mischief to the property," said Det. John Schmitt with the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office.
The man has been identified as 37-year-old Harold Gene Schneider.
MCSO deputies say no other suspects have been identified, but the investigation is ongoing.
Anyone with information about this incident should call the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office Office at 936-760-5876. Crime Stoppers will pay up to a $1,000 cash reward for information leading to an arrest or indictment of a felony crime. Call 800-392-STOP (7867), all tipsters remain anonymous.
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo 58 min ago
- Montgomery County flu deaths have residents on edge 1 min ago
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable 24 min ago
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse
- Jury reaches verdict in disputed Farrah Fawcett portrait
- Houston psychic sued over 'love ritual'
- Houston man charged with murder in wife's shooting death
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos