Youth counselor in Montgomery County accused of possessing child pornography
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A youth counselor in Montgomery County has been arrested, charged with possession of child pornography.
Police arrested 53-year-old John Charles Mason at his home in the 1100 block of Wilson Road. He was booked into the Montgomery County Jail on four counts of possession of child pornography.
Administrators at Montgomery County Youth Services won't tell us exactly at which of its sites Mason worked. But they did release a statement saying he's now fired after this child porn arrest.
Mason's online resume indicates he's worked as a youth counselor with Montgomery County Youth Services for about 15 years.
Investigators with the US Postal Inspectors Office say they got a search warrant to raid Mason's home Thursday morning. They seized numerous personal items as local police were called in to help arrest Mason.
Federal agents say Mason's arrest is part of a two-year operation. They say right now, there's no information suggesting any of the juveniles the man counseled with Montgomery County Youth Services were victims in this case.
We did some checking and found Mason's resume shows he specialized in individual and family counseling for at risk youth.
Local residents we talked to say are calling the allegations disturbing.
"That's what's wrong with the world today is we put our trust in people, and that's how it turns out," Conroe resident Craig Brandon said.
John Bracken, Executive Director of Montgomery Co. Youth Services, issued a statement Thursday afternoon which read:
"We are cooperating with the Conroe Police Department in their investigation following the arrest today of one of pour staffers on charges of child pornography. Employee confidentiality policies limit what I can add, but I can tell you the person has been dismissed from his position with our organization. As this is a matter for law enforcement, that is all the information I can share at this time."
local, demond fernandez
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Road rage incident ends with shooting of girl
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Nice weather for Easter!
- Good Samaritans run over in SW Houston carjacking
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Officials bust meth lab inside million-dollar home
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck