Youth counselor in Montgomery County accused of possessing child pornography
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A youth counselor in Montgomery County has been arrested, charged with possession of child pornography.
Police arrested 53-year-old John Charles Mason at his home in the 1100 block of Wilson Road. He was booked into the Montgomery County Jail on four counts of possession of child pornography.
Administrators at Montgomery County Youth Services won't tell us exactly at which of its sites Mason worked. But they did release a statement saying he's now fired after this child porn arrest.
Mason's online resume indicates he's worked as a youth counselor with Montgomery County Youth Services for about 15 years.
Investigators with the US Postal Inspectors Office say they got a search warrant to raid Mason's home Thursday morning. They seized numerous personal items as local police were called in to help arrest Mason.
Federal agents say Mason's arrest is part of a two-year operation. They say right now, there's no information suggesting any of the juveniles the man counseled with Montgomery County Youth Services were victims in this case.
We did some checking and found Mason's resume shows he specialized in individual and family counseling for at risk youth.
Local residents we talked to say are calling the allegations disturbing.
"That's what's wrong with the world today is we put our trust in people, and that's how it turns out," Conroe resident Craig Brandon said.
John Bracken, Executive Director of Montgomery Co. Youth Services, issued a statement Thursday afternoon which read:
"We are cooperating with the Conroe Police Department in their investigation following the arrest today of one of pour staffers on charges of child pornography. Employee confidentiality policies limit what I can add, but I can tell you the person has been dismissed from his position with our organization. As this is a matter for law enforcement, that is all the information I can share at this time."
local, demond fernandez
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk 35 min ago
- Severe weather clears Houston 52 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud 16 min ago
- New Houston light rail line to open for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting 19 min ago
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Man barricades himself in house after allegedly killing wife 28 min ago
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking
- Ice pellets and snow frustrate holiday travel rush
- 'Topless' protest falls flat on Brazil beach
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?