Teen shot by armed intruders at NE Houston home
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A family was just starting their day like they always do when three men broke into their home and shot a teenager.
The violent scene unfolded at a home on Debeney Drive in northeast Harris County Friday morning.
Family members have been gathering at the house where that burglary and shooting happened. The injured teen remains in the hospital, and right now deputies are trying to track down his attackers.
The front door to this house on Debeney is still damaged. Glass shattered from the bullets a family says a group of masked men fired into the house during a burglary.
"They held my mom right here outside and my brother, and they seen my brother because my brother closed the door, and the dude knocked the door down and he shot my brother," said Daniel DeLaRosa
He says his mother was about to take he and his 17-year-old brother Rolando to school when those burglars ambushed their mom as she walked outside just before 7am. The burglars then shot Rolando two times -- once in the leg and another time in the abdomen.
Relatives immediately rushed to the scene.
"He's a good guy. He's a senior. He's about to graduate this year, he don't get into trouble or nothing. He's a good kid. I'm always with him most of the time, but not this time," said Damian DeLaRosa.
Investigators say the armed and unknown gunmen demanded jewelry and money from the family. Daniel says his mother was forced to give up a safe as another man held a gun to his head.
"I was trying to fight, to take the gun away, and he scratched me and hit me with the gun right here," Daniel said.
The burglars ran off and got away in a newer model black Impala.
"One of them, he had a big beard, like a poofy beard. He was dark, dark, and he was short, but he was like old. The Mexican, he had tattoos all over," Daniel told us.
The injured MacArthur high senior, Rolando, was rushed to Memorial Hermann Hospital. At last check, investigators say the teen's condition improved from critical to good.
"Right now we don't know who it is, but hopefully police get justice," said Damian.
Detectives are asking anyone with information about the burglary and shooting to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
local, demond fernandez
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries 57 min ago
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver killed after slamming into students' SUV 11 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation 7 min ago
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine 29 min ago
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days