Teen shot by armed intruders at NE Houston home
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A family was just starting their day like they always do when three men broke into their home and shot a teenager.
The violent scene unfolded at a home on Debeney Drive in northeast Harris County Friday morning.
Family members have been gathering at the house where that burglary and shooting happened. The injured teen remains in the hospital, and right now deputies are trying to track down his attackers.
The front door to this house on Debeney is still damaged. Glass shattered from the bullets a family says a group of masked men fired into the house during a burglary.
"They held my mom right here outside and my brother, and they seen my brother because my brother closed the door, and the dude knocked the door down and he shot my brother," said Daniel DeLaRosa
He says his mother was about to take he and his 17-year-old brother Rolando to school when those burglars ambushed their mom as she walked outside just before 7am. The burglars then shot Rolando two times -- once in the leg and another time in the abdomen.
Relatives immediately rushed to the scene.
"He's a good guy. He's a senior. He's about to graduate this year, he don't get into trouble or nothing. He's a good kid. I'm always with him most of the time, but not this time," said Damian DeLaRosa.
Investigators say the armed and unknown gunmen demanded jewelry and money from the family. Daniel says his mother was forced to give up a safe as another man held a gun to his head.
"I was trying to fight, to take the gun away, and he scratched me and hit me with the gun right here," Daniel said.
The burglars ran off and got away in a newer model black Impala.
"One of them, he had a big beard, like a poofy beard. He was dark, dark, and he was short, but he was like old. The Mexican, he had tattoos all over," Daniel told us.
The injured MacArthur high senior, Rolando, was rushed to Memorial Hermann Hospital. At last check, investigators say the teen's condition improved from critical to good.
"Right now we don't know who it is, but hopefully police get justice," said Damian.
Detectives are asking anyone with information about the burglary and shooting to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
local, demond fernandez
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list 15 min ago
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- More Houstonians using METRO system
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Miley fan sneaked into Omaha dressing room
- 'Burger King baby' now seeks birth mom on Facebook