Teen killed, children injured in alleged street race
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A teen was dead and several children were injured after an illegal street race ended with a crash in east Houston.
It happened late Friday at the intersection of Interstate 10 and Uvalde in east Houston.
Police say two trucks met up at a nearby Walmart and began street racing.
As the two trucks were racing westbound, police say one of them hit another vehicle at the intersection about a mile from their starting point.
Zachary Bouse was in the vehicle that was struck.
"I seen the truck coming, so I really tensed up really fast. Next thing I know, it hit me. Next thing I know, I'm on the other side of the street," Bouse said.
Bouse tells us he's doing fine. He's got minor cuts and bruises.
Police confirmed seven people were riding in the truck that hit him.
A teenage girl in the backseat died instantly and an 18-year-old was critically injured.
Officials say several young children were ejected onto the road.
"It was really scary because I have kids myself and I don't think those babies were in car seats because they flew out the truck," witness Christina Martinez said.
Martinez rushed to save the kids and still had blood on her sweatshirt when she talked to us about the crash.
"I picked up the little baby and she was about two months [old] and she was throwing up, vomiting blood from her nose, everything. She was unconscious," she said. "And there was another baby. There was like three babies involved. Maybe a two-year-old had a huge cut on his head. The little boy did as well. And that one guy landed on the floor. He was passed out. It was bad."
"Even though it wasn't my fault, I still felt bad," Bouse said. "I just feel bad for people like that."
All the victims were taken to the hospital. There is no word on their conditions and no names were released. It's unclear how the teens and children in the truck are connected.
Police are searching for the other driver involved in the illegal street racing.
Anyone with information can call police or Crime Stoppers.
Please stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for updates.
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company 21 min ago
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster 46 min ago
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshall: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Mark Kelly, twin brother enlisted for NASA study
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Will Justin Bieber be at Houston rodeo?
- David Tillman's weather forecast
26 min ago