Bound for Galveston, HMS Bounty can't outrun Sandy
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Some of the most dramatic images associated with Superstorm Sandy involved a daring rescue in the Atlantic Ocean. The crew of the HMS Bounty, stranded in a hurricane, was plucked from the waters from above. Lives were lost and the historic ship is also gone.
In just a month, the HMS Bounty was set to go on display at Pier 21 in Galveston. But those plans abruptly changed when the Bounty couldn't outrun Sandy.
The Bounty was a replica of a tall ship created 50 years ago for the movie, 'Mutiny on the Bounty.' In recent years, it was pressed into service as the Black Pearl in 'Pirates of the Caribbean.'
Last week, it set out from Connecticut, bound for Florida and eventually Galveston in advance of the hurricane. But it went down off Cape Hatteras on Monday. The Coast Guard rescued 14 crew members from the Atlantic. A fifteenth crew member was recovered, but died. The captain is still missing and presumed dead.
The HMS Bounty Foundation was trying out Galveston as a possible winter home.
"I think it would have been a great attraction. A lot of local people have been asking us, 'When is Bounty coming? What's gonna happen?'" said John Schaumberg with the Texas Seaport Museum.
It is a loss; tourists will tell you that.
"That would have been neat if it could have," one woman told us.
But it is more than that. A rare ship is gone, taking two lives with her.
"These are highly trained professional people who know what they're doing and know where they're going. Mother Nature is simply a dangerous force," said Mark Scibinico, crew member of the Elissa which is docked in Galveston.
He says the area where the Bounty went down, 90 miles off Cape Hatteras, is called the ship graveyard of the mid-Atlantic.
By the way, the Elissa is currently in dry dock and will be back at the end of November.
galveston, local, deborah wrigley
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo 59 min ago
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths 1 min ago
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable 25 min ago
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse
- Jury reaches verdict in disputed Farrah Fawcett portrait
- Houston psychic sued over 'love ritual'
- Houston man charged with murder in wife's shooting death
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos